FORUMS: list search recent posts

Power Requirements?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
AnthemWake
Power Requirements?
on Sep 18, 2007 at 5:56:14 pm

Hi All...I'm going to be shooting a very important interview next month, but it will be in a room in a hotel that I am totally unfamiliar with. I want to make sure that there won't be any problems with the power and that I'm not going to blow any circuits. I'll be lighting with a 3-light Lowel DV Creator kit and I want to know what questions to ask the hotel ahead of time.

I have no experience with electric work, so I'm not sure what I need to know. Do I ask how many available watts I will have? How many different circuits are available? Any help would be great, as I am totally in the dark (haha) about this. Thanks...

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
Re: Power Requirements?
on Sep 19, 2007 at 1:14:34 pm

This is a formula you should always have handy. You will need it for all your productions.

Power = Voltage x Current

Power is the total wattage for all your fixtures, Voltage is 110 in the US, and the Current is the amount of amps that you will require from the hotel.

So, since most hotels have 15 amps circuits, that means that each circuit will be able to handle up to:

1650 Watts (110 volts x 15 amps).

Of course you don't want to be too close to that number.

If your fixtures are 500W each, you should be able to put 3 in 1 circuit. You will need a separate circuits for your video gear to avoid noise interferences.

So, you should ask for 2 DEDICATED 15 amps circuits. Make sure they mark them clearly and that nobody else plugs into them. (like coffey machines, etc.)

Vince

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]