FORUMS: list search recent posts

event production software

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
morgancreative
event production software
on Sep 14, 2007 at 8:56:44 pm

Hi there,

Anyone out there able to recommend a software based switcher to run powerpoint and video media files? Output from my laptop to projector.

Thanks!

Todd Morgan
Creative Director
morgancreative
http://www.morgancreative.biz

Return to posts index

ThomasLeong
Re: event production software
on Sep 15, 2007 at 6:52:11 am

Check out http//www.stumpfl.com's Wings Platinum 3, the Pro version (Basic, Starter and Advanced versions do not have Powerpoint inclusion feature). Downloadable demo.

I prefer to use Powerpoint Viewer as this loads the presentation in fullscreen mode all the time. Basically, when ppt loads, it overlays onto whatever was on screen. Keyboard control goes to Powerpoint. ESC key to get out and return to your timeline and whatever image was overlayed before Powerpoint.

Alternatively, use the Mix Groups feature of Wings to assign groups of tracks to your F keys. The F keys then work as software switchers.

Async feature allows you to pause timeline but have a loop video running indefinitely until you F-key to the group you want to appear on screen. This other group could contain your Powerpoint feature, or live video overlay, etc...or you may just wish to change looping backgrounds for different presenters coming on stage, etc.

Thomas Leong
http://multidisplays.freeforums.org

Return to posts index

ThomasLeong
Re: Output from laptop to projector.
on Sep 15, 2007 at 7:16:43 am

Forgot to mention that with Wings, and if you wish to see your timeline at the same time as the Powerpoint presentation, it would be diffcult with a laptop - all because a laptop's Primary mon is usually the laptop's LCD itself, and Wings can only display Powerpoint presentations on the same Master/Primary mon. In clone mode this is not a problem, but you won't be able to see your timeline in clone mode during a presentation.

Using, say a Shuttle PC, with a dual display 3rd party graphics card, and a 1-in, 2-out vga splitter for the Primary mon (splitting one to mon, other to projector), and monitoring your timeline on the secondary mon solves the problem.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

ThomasLeong
on Sep 15, 2007 at 7:23:11 am

Forgot to mention that with Wings, and if you wish to see your timeline at the same time as the Powerpoint presentation, it would be diffcult with a laptop - all because a laptop's Primary mon is usually the laptop's LCD itself, and Wings can only display Powerpoint presentations on the same Master/Primary mon. In clone mode this is not a problem, but you won't be able to see your timeline in clone mode during a presentation.

Using, say a Shuttle PC, with a dual display 3rd party graphics card, and a 1-in, 2-out vga splitter for the Primary mon (splitting one to mon, other to projector), and monitoring your timeline on the secondary mon solves the problem.

With that in mind, I wonder if the Matrox's DualHeadtoGo or TripleHeadtoGo will help. However, Wings Platinum 3 Pro is only a single screen version. Perhaps the Wings Platinum 3 Multidisplay version is required with Matrox's. As I have not tried the Matrox stuff, I can't say for sure one way or the other.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Oct 13, 2007 at 4:24:19 pm

Gee what a surprise, Thomas is flogging Wings again.

SO Thomas do they actualy give you a percentage on systems sold?

I think people around here know I have my favorite solutions for these kind of things, but at least I also lay out all the competing options.

It's beginning to feel like the AVStumpfl forum...

Just FYI, one could also tackle this with products like Watchout, Arkaos, Hippotizer, Pandoras Box, and others.

Heck with one of those Matrox Multi-Head adapters you could pretty much do it with power-point.

Regards,
Bob

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

ThomasLeong
on Oct 15, 2007 at 10:05:31 am

Never been in a flame war, and don't intend to start here.

Original question, and reflected by the subject matter, was for a software solution to be run from a laptop. Doubt if any Hippotizer or Pandora's Box caters for that. Neither would Watchout since it needs two laptops as a minimum when the question referred to one. Archaos and Matrox' multi-head adaptor possibly oculd, but since I do not have experience with them, I personally could not recommend them in case they cannot do the job. My confidence lies with what I know to fulfill the objective required. And if that is limited relative to other's experience, then so be it. But at least I tried to help morgancreative in a timely manner.

Thomas Leong

Return to posts index

ThomasLeong
Re: event production software
on Oct 20, 2007 at 8:14:59 am

Todd,

I have since succeeded in getting Wings Platinum v2.x and v3.x to display Powerpoint and videos in the secondary output of my laptop while my timeline remains on the laptop's primary monitor. It is merely a setting in the Object Properties popup for the Powerpoint marker in Wings' timeline - the X position for the Powerpoint should be set to, say, 1024 pixels if you are using a 1024x768 monitor, as this then shifts the Powerpoint presentation by 1024 pixels to the right...effectively moving it out of the laptop's primary monitor (see my post at the Tips & Tricks section of http://multidisplays.freeforums.org).

With this solved, Wings will be the ideal solution for what you require: a software with switcher features to play Powerpoint and videos from your laptop to projector. The only other software you would require is the freeware Powerpoint Viewer.

As aforesaid, you do not need the Multidisplay version of Wings if you only intend single screen presentations. The Pro version will do, and this costs far less than the Multidisplays version...about 40% savings I should think....but then the US$ has depreciated quite a bit recently.

Thomas Leong
http://multidisplays.freeforums.org

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]