FORUMS: list search recent posts

audio delay in outside broadcasting

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Tugs M. MacCow
audio delay in outside broadcasting
on Jun 29, 2007 at 10:48:32 am

This is a bit of a new area for me, so please forgive my naivety, not to mention the magnitude of this question. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about OB work and am finding it hard to locate good resources on the web. In particular, I've been warned that one of the main problems when dealing with a large venue is keeping the audio and video synched: if the video were delayed the problem would be trivial, but delayed audio is another matter. Can anyone enlighten me about the problem, its likelihood and common methods of dealing with it -- I'd particularly appreciate being pointed to any resources on the web that I could devour. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
Re: audio delay in outside broadcasting
on Jul 9, 2007 at 12:01:27 am

Delay between audio and video is common. The most common type of

video delay is due to the time it takes for switchers, scan converters, etc. to process the signal (which you may know already).

That's easily resolved by using an audio delay unit before your recorder.

There are also instances of audio delay. The most common I could think of is if the mic is far away from the source, as in, recording from the speakers. (Not likely in a pro event). Other common delays are caused by a lot of audio processing (You will need a lot to even see a frame of delay), and of course distance in cabling (Again, since you haven't mentionned how far you will be form the stage, it's hard to calculate). I rarely have to correct audio delay, even in large events, but there are several video delay units out there if you feel you may need one.

Vince

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
Re: audio delay in outside broadcasting
on Jul 9, 2007 at 6:53:09 pm

Are you talking about live audio to the audience or to the video camera?

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]