FORUMS: list search recent posts

new to Live Video Switching

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Collin
new to Live Video Switching
on Jan 14, 2007 at 6:40:30 am

I've been asked to run the live video aspect of an outreach show for my alma matter. I've worked almost entirely in Post-Production up to this point, so I need some help on figuring out the hardware aspect. This is what I'd like to do, tell me the best way to accomplish it, or recommend a better workflow, I'm really open to suggestions here.

So . . .

The show is going to be a combination of a prerecorded DVD presentation and a live band. It will cut back and forth alternating between the DVD scenes and the Live band performing. I would like to use 4 camera's for the live show, but will settle on 2 if it becomes cost prohibitive. Also, I need to be able to mirror a computer screen for one portion of the show. So the way I see it, I need at least 4 video channels (DVD, 2 cameras, computer feed) but I would prefer 6 channels (DVD, 4 cameras, computer feed) if possible. I would like to keep the switching as simple as possible. If there is a software solution (preferably Mac based) that would be ideal. I know that Final Cut Pro can do some live editing, but I have never used it. Would that work for this? Any other suggestions would be much appreciated. . .

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
Re: new to Live Video Switching
on Jan 14, 2007 at 6:57:41 am

You haven't mentioned how this is being recorded, or broadcast ?

If you are just going to projection and recording ISOs, you could rent a Folsom Screen pro with a controller, that would handle all your inputs. A scan converter will also be needed if you want to record its live output.

Vince

Return to posts index

Collin
on Jan 14, 2007 at 7:32:37 am

The cameras will be some combination of Canon GL1, GL2, and/or XL1. It will be output through a projector (I believe this part is already purchased, so I don't need to worry about that portion). Recording the live output isn't necessary, but if there is an easy solution for this, then it might be considered.

Also, I spoke recently with a local rental company that has a used JVC KM-1200 switcher for sale. I have been trying to find a manual online for this, but have been unsuccessful so far. Does anyone know anything about this specific unit? Would it be able to do the basics of what I am looking for?

Return to posts index

Vincent Becquiot
on Jan 14, 2007 at 11:07:11 pm

Here are my two bits...

I have one of those JVC switcher, haven't used it in years, I could probably sell it to you for not much more than shipping cost. But that's a really old unit.

Here's the thing, you are sending this to projection, and these are the problems you will run into:

Color matching cameras: You are using different cameras, whith basically very little control over color, (and no sync generator), so a digital switcher such as the Screenpro will be of great help for color, and will handle sync.

Graphics: You can't send a CPU output to a video switcher directly, without a scan converter (well unless it has a composite / SVideo out, but I won't go there, that's usually pretty ugly). Again, a ScreenPro will handle that input, and then you can send a VGA, or heck even DVI out to the projector.

Preview: You can preview all the switcher inputs on a computer monitor or LCD panel.

Sizing for projection: You will have control of size/ratio of every input/ output.

Finally you can dissolve/wipe between evey input, do lower thirds from graphics, basically most of what a video switcher can do.

In summary, you' ll spend twice as much in equipment to make this happen, and will have to dowconvert graphics, than you would with a single switcher.

Vince

Return to posts index

Andy Stinton
on Jan 15, 2007 at 10:42:03 pm

My problem is that Canon GL1, GL2, and/or XL1 are not appropriate for imag unless you stage is brilliantly lit.

For the first go around why not hire a local AV company and see what they do, if you like the results buy that kind of equipment. There is no shortcuts or cheap routes if you want a quality product.

Andy Stinton
Corporate Video
Live & Stage Events
Business Practices

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 17, 2007 at 4:41:57 pm

You should definitely rent a "fly-away" live switching/ IMAG package to do this right. Just buying an old switcher on your own is not nearly enough. You'd lack the peripheral gear to feed it properly.

You might want to look into renting a Video Toaster for this job if the fly-away package is too much money.

The nice thing about a toaster is, it's a swiss army knife of a unit that will stabilze your camera and other sources, color-correct them, and add a lot of fun effects, a nice CG that may be a better deal than the external laptop or PC graphics source you were going to use. It can play the DVD's thrut he switcher as well.

The bad thing about the toaster is, it's all-in one nature. If it has a bad day, you have no work-around.

As far as mac-based switching the only product I'm aware of is the Channel Storm LiveChannel, designed to work on a mac laptop, but you've got too many cameras going for this thousand-dollar program.

Return to posts index

Edward G Downie
on Jan 18, 2007 at 7:39:29 pm

If you are in the new york area I can help you with minimal cost. I have a four camera sd rig which I have not been using I mostly shoot single canera and the only reason I have not sold it is I have a studio project coming soon. so please to email me:
edownie@optonline.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]