FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live Video Feed

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
nsharples
Live Video Feed
on Nov 8, 2006 at 7:48:49 am

At the Church I work at I need to run 3 - 75' cables up to 3 MiniDV Cameras on our stage.

What would be the most cost effective cable/conversion?

Currently I have a mess of BNC cables coupled together (the cable was left over from our antennas for our wireless mics). The cable leaves the Booth BNC and up at the camera I have a BNC to female RCA adapter. The quality seems to be fine. I would like to get 3 new runs up to the stage.

Specs:
Cameras:
1 - Sony PD-170
2 - Canon XL-1

Switcher
Panasonic AG-MX70

What would you suggest? These feeds would be used several times a week.

Thanks alot,

Nick Sharples
Media Ministries
RHCC

Return to posts index

aLexx
Re: Live Video Feed
on Nov 8, 2006 at 10:51:38 am

Your mixer is capable for Y/C as your Cameras, this would increase your picturequality noticeable.
Instead using one BNC cable for composite you need two BNC(75 Ohm)cables, with an adapter from BNC to YC for each camera. (A multicore with 2x RG 59 inside) BTW: If you don

Return to posts index

Buzz01
Re: Live Video Feed
on Nov 28, 2006 at 4:59:56 am

I've found the most cost effective and efficient way to run multiple, long video cables is to use CAT5 (ethernet) cable and Video Baluns to terminate the cable runs with standard BNC connectors. I found my 4-channel passive video balun here (go to the Video Balun link at the bottom of the Categories listed on the left hand column of the page and you'll need a pair, one for each end of the CAT5 cable):
http://www.videosecu.com

CAT5 has 4 twisted pair of copper wire, which means that the CAT5 can pass 4 video signals down a single run of cable. You can easily purchase or make your own CAT5 cables -- you need to buy a spool of wire, some RJ45 ends, and a crimping tool. I bought a big spool of cable and a networking book (which had the color coding for the CAT5 & RJ45 connectors) from the local big-box hardware store. And I bought my connector and tester here:
< http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=SS35407-TEST&cat=NET >

I don't remember the explanation behind this, but CAT5 cable is very resistant to noise and interference, and capable of video runs of hundreds of feet.

Note: there are higher quality and more expensive video baluns and crimping tools around, but I tool my chances with the affordable options above and have been happy.

Hope this helps,
-Buzz

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]