FORUMS: list search recent posts

RGBHV (BNC) or HD15 pin

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul
RGBHV (BNC) or HD15 pin
by
on Oct 13, 2006 at 10:32:43 pm

Ok, got the DVD/show control ironed out. Now I want to run various lengths of cable up to 25ft. The Pioneer DVD-V8000 supports upconversion via DVI-D. Should I run 5 wire RGBHV BNC cable or 15 pin VGA to my LCD/Plasma displays. Basically, which cable will provide more reliabilty and quality? Also, running 10 different PC's to 10 different displays Plasma and LCD. I know from live events we always run 5 wire BNC, but this is a permanent install and cable runs are no more than 25ft, maybe 1 at 50ft.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: RGBHV (BNC) or HD15 pin
on Oct 14, 2006 at 3:53:18 am

Er...which solution did you choose?...'cos you later mention that there are 10 PCs to 10 displays when initially you were talking of Pioneer DVD players. Enquiring minds would like to know.

As for cable choice...sorry, I'm not an expert on cables, but I would think that BNC is more secure than 15-pin VGA, though likely more expensive. Since the Pioneer supports upconversion, have you considered CAT-5 runs with transmitters/receivers at either end. The boxes/converters will add to your costs though.

ThomasLeong

Return to posts index

Paul
by
on Oct 14, 2006 at 11:50:45 pm

The 10 PC's are something different then the 6 DVD's. They are just for interactive. Anyhow, I did consider Cat5 but don't think it is the budget to add 6+ transmitters/recievers. Not to mention this is another device in the chain create problems or fail. I was hoping just to run a cable for video palin and simple.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Oct 15, 2006 at 12:14:02 am

We tend to favor the RGBHV approach. We see too much signal strength loss in 15 pin, and really extended lengths of it can be fairly costly.

-Bob

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

Paul
by
on Oct 16, 2006 at 7:25:54 pm

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

guruofav
on Oct 24, 2006 at 3:16:39 am

Signals on 15pin VGA cables degrade after about 25 feet. But a good RGBHV cable will cost you more than a VGA cable, so if were taking about short runs (like a source to a switcher) I would keep it VGA, but on a run of any length, go right to RGBHV.

Have Fun.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]