FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stitching 2 videos together

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hanrong
Stitching 2 videos together
on Aug 25, 2006 at 4:44:53 am

I have been working on a exhibition project that requires to create a video to be projected on a 21x7ft screen. The video needs to fill up the entire display. With this wide 3:1 aspect ratio, I was thinkin of filming the video in HD format then rescaling to a resolution size of 2304 x 768. However the problem would be that there will be some pixel loss and a large top bottom area cropped off. I have used before some stitching software for still images to be join together seamlessly for a panoramic view and wondered if this can be done for videos.

Thanks
hanrong sin

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
Re: Stitching 2 videos together
on Aug 25, 2006 at 3:10:08 pm

Given your resolution you are going to have to use a robust playback system anyway... And most of them have screen blending. You DON'T want to lose pixels by overshooting the screen. Your projectors should be lensed to fill the screen in the vertical dimension, and then have anough projectors to fill the screen horizontally. Probably 3. Maybe 2 if you overshoot vertical a bit.

On the software side, media servers like Hippotizer (my hands down favorite in this catagory), Catalyst, or Pandoras Box will all do very nice screen blending (what you've referred to as stitching). Also, systems like Dataton Watchout and AVStumpfl WIngs Platinum will accomplish this nicely (although they require more gear: basically one computer per projector, plus one master).

I'm going to assume an AV rental company is handling the actual gear side of things. You should ask what they plan on using for their front end, and how they plan on filling the screen. This is not a really hard thing for experienced folks, but it can really look bad if tackled by somebody who's never done it before.

Best,
Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

hanrong
on Aug 31, 2006 at 6:38:08 am

Sorry for the late response. I forgot to mention thatI am using AVStumpfl Wings Platinum for the 3 screen projection. However I need to produce a "full screen" video for this display. I was wondering which is a better way to tackle this problem.

Return to posts index

aLexx
on Aug 31, 2006 at 7:18:30 am

Take 2 Cameras in parallel for shooting. It sounds more complicated than it is.
Dependend on the scenes place some trackingpoints like colored "balls" in your picture for postpro.
Because you have enough room in pictures height, you can easily merge them in a composer software like Aftereffects or similar.

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
on Sep 1, 2006 at 6:06:53 am

This is a pet peeve of (if I may quote) Douglas Mesney - that Watchout and Stumpfl's Wings Platinum were never designed with full widescreen video in mind. Instead, they were originally intended as the 21st Century way of doing multi-image widescreen slide shows, albeit with added functionality such as including video and other media without having to resort to external playback units and timecode synchronizers.

If you want fullscreen 3:1 video, you will have to compromise on cropping and resolution with a single camera shoot. Else proceed as Alexx has indicated. With 2 true-blue 16:9 parallel-mounted HD cameras and an overlap of 320 pixels between them, you will get full height without cropping top and bottom. Anything more or less than that will require cropping or scaling to fit the 3:1.

Whoever sold the idea of 3:1 fullscreen video to the client ought to be shot, or made to pay big money for the costs involved.

Thomas Leong
Co-owner/Moderator of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multidisplays

Return to posts index

hanrong
on Sep 5, 2006 at 2:14:27 am

My humble thanks to all your wonderful contributions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]