FORUMS: list search recent posts

a strange client request

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg
a strange client request
by
on Jun 2, 2006 at 1:07:17 pm

I have a potential client looking for a bid on a 2 or 3 camera shoot of a week long conference. He wants mini-dv cameras tied to a switcher and output to a DVD recorder. This just seems like a weird set-upto me. Has anyone here done something similar? What kind of results have you achieved? What kind of switcher did you use?

Return to posts index

David Smith
Re: a strange client request
on Jun 2, 2006 at 2:08:31 pm

Sounds like a bad idea to me. Have you ever had a DVD recorder fail to finalize a disk? I have. For me it was just a pain to redub to another disk.... for a live recording it would be a disaster.

Is the client just looking to do this on the cheap, or is this some kind of workflow issue like getting copies of the dvd to conference attendees on the spot?

I've worked with a company that uses up to 4 HDV cameras tied through a switcher with simultanous recording of camera iso feeds and a switched feed directly to hard drives. That seems a much safer solution. Take a look at their website:

http://www.remotedigitalmedia.com/

Regards,
David

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
on Jun 2, 2006 at 4:21:28 pm

I agree with David.

Also, even when a DVD successfully finalizes on a recorder, it takes precious minutes during which you can't record.

IMHO a sony DVCAM studio deck is a great way to capture a switched conference - they can take 3-hour tape loads.

I don't know how you do a good job with prosumer camcorders, the lenses just aren't long enough, you need to be right in the audience to get a good head & shoulders shot. Then you're looking right up the nose of the presenter.

Return to posts index

Greg
Thanks.
by
on Jun 2, 2006 at 6:09:57 pm

Thanks Seth and David. Good suggestions and it's always refresshing to hear others share my thoughts. Have a great weekend.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
ppatton
on Jun 8, 2006 at 10:48:11 am

what you are asking is possible to do. but depending on what the client wants the end product for, as far as quality. you can take the s-video out of the camera, to a switcher (take a look at edirol) you may also need a way to get their Powerpoint into the mix. But you say nothing about audio source. and I too would not just depend on a dvd recorder I would have a tape recorder of some type for that just in case. Ther are still a lot of questions I could ask before The response I am giving would be complete. But anything IS possible.

Paul

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]