FORUMS: list search recent posts

Software Live Video Mixer via PowerBook?

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pixeleyed
Software Live Video Mixer via PowerBook?
on Apr 24, 2006 at 5:59:50 pm

Hi there. This might be wishful thinking, but is there a software solution that would allow us to use a PowerBook to mix 3 DVcams for fly-recording a live event? I guess there would need to be some Firewire box / hardware interface involved to control the feeds. (By the nature of this question you sure can deduct that there is not a huge budget for this. ) What economical options are out there that you could recommend?

Thnx.
F

Francois

>- e y e f l a m e .tv -<
http://eyeflame.tv

Return to posts index

Thomas Leong
Re: Software Live Video Mixer via PowerBook?
on May 3, 2006 at 9:50:34 am

Have a look at Isadora for Macs. Switching between video sources is called Events, but whether you can get 3 live inputs into one Powerbook's harddisk is another thing. You probably need to feed the live sources back out via the Powerbook into another Firewire harddisk. Theory only. I have no practical experience with Macs.

Return to posts index

Rennie
on May 27, 2006 at 10:20:22 pm

The old amiga video toaster computers did this with 4 composite in and one out. In their time, 1" broadcast video was composite at 500 lines. It was a great picture. I seem to remember an S-vhs card that came available too. These developers became the team that went on to create Play Trinity which is now owned and produced by Globecaster. You still see the Amiga Toasters on ebay and around for $50.00 and up and it would be great for your needs. You should run Toaser on a 2000 or faster Amiga computer. The Toaser Flyer was the non-linear version. Of coarse a bigger budget will allow use of a Videonics type mixer. While Apple's Final Cut Pro can mix 4 streams of video in real time, you still need to capture each one on the hard drive first. I don't know of any computer that allows several simultaneous inputs at once (other than the Amiga Video Toaster and it doesn't write to the disc, it merely passes the mixed signal through to a deckwhile allowing you to add graphics, scrolling text and animated effects etc.). Until someone invents a multi-input card with the switching software you spoke of, this will always be the type of work for a switcher and a record deck.

"everything is broken"

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on May 28, 2006 at 9:42:57 pm

I'm guessing you want to do a live cut, possibly for display at the event ? Else why not just roll tape and eidt later...

With something like Arkaos or even Catalyst V4 Software Only, you MIGHT be able to pull off a content mix between two camaras, And it's a big maybe... You could run a seperate firwire bus by using a Firewire PCMCIA card, and a camera plugged into your normal FW400 plug on the powerbook...

However, I just don't see a powerbook having the bandwidth to deal with multiple inputs AND an output flying in real time... Not a big enough hose. With a G5 it's not a problem... you can load up the PCI slots with any flavor input card you can imagine and fly it all at once... But a Powerbook... I think you're asking alot of it.

Renting a simple matrix switch is not a big deal, maybe a $100 if you look around, and then you run the switched output into the PB... There's no doubt you can do a single in and output on that powerbook... The key is to take the multi input load off it's shoulders. Use the Matrix to switch upstream, and then record/output back through the Powerbook.

Good Luck
Bob Bonniol

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]