FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-Screen Presentation Question

COW Forums : Live & Stage Events

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
beachtv
Multi-Screen Presentation Question
on Aug 22, 2005 at 12:22:25 pm

I have a client that wants to do the following. First, create a 4800 x 480 PowerPoint presentation consisting of text, graphics, still images, and video. Then display it horizontally on four 50" Marantz plasma HD monitors.

Any suggestion on the hardware (and software) needed to pull this off? It will be running as a loop in a trade show.

Thanks!

Aaron

Return to posts index

Seth Bloombaum
Re: Multi-Screen Presentation Question
on Aug 22, 2005 at 8:45:15 pm

Perhaps one PC with two dual display cards. Of course you can always get the (Mindpath? Datapath?) cards to display ppt within dataton watchout, but the frame refresh rate is too slow to support video. Perhaps you would drop powerpoint and go all watchout.

All watchout is probably the slickest way to do it. 4 presentation machines and one controller, need dongles, etc. for a one-time tradeshow you'd probably hire someone in to do it.

Challenge with powerpoint is synching multiple presentations and/or distributing 4800x480 over 4 screens. Perhaps this can be designed around, depending on your content.

Return to posts index

Sam Chan
on Aug 5, 2009 at 4:56:33 pm

It has been several years since these posts.

Does anyone have any updated advice to the question of how to do Multi-Screen Presentations?

Return to posts index

aLexx
on Aug 23, 2005 at 8:10:06 am

First I would drop powerpoint. Create pictures and text in a compositing software like AfterFX.
Make a Composition 4800 x480 and render out the 4 splitscreens separately. Put this videos on http://www.alcorn.com/products/dvm4/index.html an you are done.
IMHO the easiest and cheapest way for 480px plasmas for a fixed installation.
Extra benefit: "The DVM4 may be controlled using RS-232 or Ethernet. Sophisticated play-listing and a Real Time Clock scheduler support extremely complex stand-alone operations."

bg
alexx

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Aug 23, 2005 at 4:14:29 pm

Just my personal .02, but I avoid AM (Alcorn/McBride) gear like the plague. Worked for Disney for a long time, they were a big supplier, and it was constant nightmares. All of our rental partners have also run, not walked, away from Alcorn gear.

There are lots of other players (Doremi, FFV, Quvis, Video Brick) that also have good serial and other control protocols, MPEG playback, and good prices.

But if this guy isn't planning on making a career of multiscreen presentation gear rental, he should probably contact his local AV rental company and see what they have... Focus on the content (built as described by Alexx) and let the AV company tackle the gear headache.

Cheers,
Bob

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

aLexx
on Aug 24, 2005 at 7:16:19 am

Bob, basically you are right, we too had a nightmare with AMB

Return to posts index

Frank Otto
on Aug 24, 2005 at 10:17:13 pm

Alcorn was a great company...when all they did was sync-slide. They tried to please the Imangineers at WDC and ended up with more bastardized ways of doing the same thing and the quality went bye-bye.

We ditched all the Alcorn stuff at FLV - we had show controllers running overhead lights and a sync-slide-vt that still required a manual start every two hours or so - I still have the bastardized Apple2 that AB programmed under my desk as a museum piece.

Hey Bob - what WDC division were you in? Or were you a sub?

I was at MAPO (74) till I went to subbing in 75-76.

Cheers,

Frank Otto

Return to posts index

Bob Bonniol
on Aug 24, 2005 at 10:45:10 pm

All hail the Maus !!!

Spent 4+ years in WD Theatrical on the Broadway shows (Beauty and Lion King), Before that (and after) did lots of Sub work on the content creation and integration side for the ships and offshore parks (euro D, and Tokyo).

There's almost no escaping working for them, if you are in entertainment long enough !

Cheers,
BB

MODE Studios
http://www.modestudios.com
Contributing Editor, Entertainment Design Magazine
Art of the Edit Forum Leader
Live & Stage Event Forum Leader
HD Forum Leader

Return to posts index

beachtv
on Sep 5, 2005 at 8:53:12 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like my client is going with a 4-head card from Digital Tigers and PowerShow (software that works with PowerPoint).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]