FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey Peter - BCC5 FXPlug Motion problem

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Zimman
Hey Peter - BCC5 FXPlug Motion problem
on Dec 3, 2007 at 5:45:40 pm

Hey Peter,

You helped me out last time, so maybe you can solve this glitch. I've got Motion 3.0.2 and when I apply a BCC5 FXPlug filter to a clip the clip just goes black. I tried trashing my com.apple.motion.plist but that didn't work. Should I reinstall BCC or may that screw FCP up?

Thanks man,
Sam

Dual 2.3 G5, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
Re: Hey Peter - BCC5 FXPlug Motion problem
on Dec 3, 2007 at 6:20:54 pm

Hi Sam,

Let's see if we can sort this out. So ... are you using a PowerPC or MacIntel equipped machine? Also, what level of Mac OS are you running ... Tiger / Leopard?

Definitely download the latest version of BCC 5 from our web site and install that. No need to uninstall the previous version ... the installer will take care of that for you in the background.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Dec 3, 2007 at 7:29:06 pm

Dual 2.3 G5, 8GB RAM, ATI Radeon X1900, OS 10.4.11, BCC5.0.1

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 3, 2007 at 8:34:22 pm

We're checking this in the labs with the same rig right now. Meanwhile, one thing that you can do is to delete the following file and relaunch Motion:

Macintosh HD/users/user name/Library/Preferences/com.apple.motion.plist

By the way, what is the project size that you are working with? And does the black frame occur if you are applying it to a solid color generated from within Motion? You're seeing the black frame with any BCC 5 FxPlug filter, right?

Thanks,

Peter.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 3, 2007 at 8:37:50 pm

And by the way ... you might want to just move the com.apple.motion.plist file onto the desktop instead of deleting it, as it holds preferences that you have set in Motion. That way you can just drag it back if removing this file does not help in solving the problem. When you move this file out of the preferences folder, you are basically resetting Motion to default.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Dec 3, 2007 at 8:57:35 pm

Reinstalling did not work. Deleting preferences did not work.

i am working in a NTSC D1 comp. I still get a black frame when I apply the filter to a shape generated in Motion. The only BCC plugin that I have found that works is the BCC Fire Generator.

Thanks for looking into this.
-Sam

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 3, 2007 at 9:03:55 pm

Good to know - thanks for sending this along. Are you using any special additional hardware or graphics card or is it standard?

Hang in there - we hope to have more information on this tomorrow.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Dec 4, 2007 at 5:09:23 pm

Hey Peter,

We have a few identical systems here, and last night I was able to try it out on those, and of course it they work flawlessly. This makes me think that there is a problem with my install of Motion. I tried to delete the app and reinstall but this didn't work either. This makes me think that it is some other file somewhere that needs to be deleted before the reinstall. Maybe you could provide a list of files that I should delete and then try to reinstall Motion?

Thanks for the help.
-Sam Zimman

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Dec 4, 2007 at 9:28:28 pm

I have a lead on the problem. Well, maybe. We have 4 systems in the office. two run with the stock GFX card, a Nvidia GeForce 6600, and two have an upgraded ATI Raedon X1900. The two with the Nvidia work fine, while the two with the ATI are currently having the same issue within Motion.

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 5, 2007 at 6:19:55 pm

Interesting ... have you have any response from Apple?

Nice work on sleuthing the issue by the way. :)

Peter.

Return to posts index

Sam Zimman
on Dec 6, 2007 at 6:08:53 pm

Apple says SOL. Since it is only 3rd party plugins (Magic Bullet Looks also has problems) that have issues it is not their problem. The application itself works just fine. So it is up to the 3rd party developers or you could hope for an update from ATI, but since it is an older card that probably won't happen. It just sucks cause we bought these cards because they were the fastest that Apple ever sold for a PCIe G5.

-Sam

Return to posts index

peter mcauley
on Dec 6, 2007 at 6:42:26 pm

Hey Sam,

I had a conversation with one of our fine bright engineers here who may have something for you to try. Please send me a private off-list email and we'll see if we can get this working for you.

Cheers,

Peter.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]