FORUMS: list search recent posts

Expressions in Boris

COW Forums : Boris FX

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tochak
Expressions in Boris
on Feb 15, 2003 at 10:42:23 am

I am pretty comfortable with expressions in AE, however I can't seem to figure out where the commands for them are in the 2.5 demo and how to use them. This, by the way, is one of the very few things that I am not able to figure out. Otherwise Red is so intuitive to understand and drive it is Scary. It's almost as if whomever designed it had a design of how my mind worked as well. I think of a feature, conjure in my mind how "it should" be applied and, lo and behold, it's exactly how it is! It keeps freaking me out this way!

It feels as if it was designe by some advanced civilization, or the talking computer on Star Trek!

"Computer..."

Return to posts index

tochak
Re: Expressions in Boris
on Feb 15, 2003 at 9:06:13 pm

Also, by the way, where are the "composition settings" equivalent of AE? - I see something in preferences in the General tab in "Project Options", is this the only place? - And I don't see a way to change the duration of the comp.???

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark McKelvey
on Feb 16, 2003 at 12:16:49 am

Just change it in the timecode window.

Return to posts index

tochak
on Feb 16, 2003 at 1:38:02 am

That means I have to know "exactly" how long each of my clips will be???

There is no "make comp size" setting?

Return to posts index

Mark McKelvey
on Feb 16, 2003 at 2:58:31 pm

No, just the duration window.If you don't like the default time that each new project starts with I'll bet it can be changed by editing the boris ini file.

Return to posts index

mark harvey
on Feb 16, 2003 at 4:39:40 pm

To check the length of clips, click on their face track in the timeline, this will give you all kinds of info regarding their lenght, alpha channels etc...
As for expressions, well there is no real expressions in Red, but by using containers and precomps you can definately do some expression type of moves.

Mark

Return to posts index

tochak
on Feb 16, 2003 at 10:05:27 pm

Cool. Thanks Mark.

Return to posts index

Mark McKelvey
on Feb 17, 2003 at 2:53:22 am

"To check the length of clips, click on their face track in the timeline, this will give you all kinds of info regarding their lenght, alpha channels etc... "

That's also the place to make sure your clips/media are being imported correctly with regards to field order and pixel ratios.

Return to posts index

tochak
on Feb 18, 2003 at 2:28:24 am

I just placed a 15 min. clip on the timeline. The "length of clip" showing when clicking on the 'face' track shows under five minutes. Different clips same result. Smaller than 5 min. clips show fine.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Feb 18, 2003 at 3:00:19 pm

Sorry to jump up to the front of the thread. As things were progressing, they started to go in another direction, so I'll come back to answer your first question.

First, thanks so much for the kind words. Your reaction is the same as mine when I was a customer of Boris -- it was simply faster and easier than anything else I'd ever seen before. After years as a customer, I was delighted to wind up as the Product Manager for RED. I'm truly delighted to see that we're having some success making RED the easiest, most powerful effects environment available.

One thing we definitely lack is expressions. I'm a big fan of scripting (although I have a lot more experience in things like PERL and AppleScript than Java), and would love to see some sriptablity make its way into RED in the future.

That said, many of the things that people would like to do with expressions are very easily done with the existing features in RED. This is especially true of titling, where we can do in a click or two things that would be very difficult to create with expressions, or indeed any other method of effects creation.

Thanks again for the kind words. Know that we're working on making things better, too. Your input is much appreciated.

Best,

Tim Wilson
Boris FX

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2020 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]