FORUMS: list search recent posts

dvd quality vs. preview quality

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
petcov petru
dvd quality vs. preview quality
on Oct 1, 2016 at 7:29:38 pm
Last Edited By petcov petru on Oct 2, 2016 at 10:21:54 am

When i watch the burned dvd,quality is bad(jaggy) in comparison to that from preview,which is fine.Why?
especially the menus.
I watched the dvd in several players including VLC but it is the same jagged quality

is there some settings to tweak before you build the dvd,the only one which i see is the writing speed,i've tried it with 24x and 8x speed but is still the same bad quality

or preview doesn't give you the same quality as final product(burned dvd)?

I forgot to mention that my monitor is in fact a full hd TV connected through HDMI cable to PC.
Is that be the problem,or could it be the DVD drive too? because i watched the dvd on 1280x800 laptop and it looks ok
When i watched the dvd on my TV(monitor) i resized the program window to Encore preview dimensions

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: dvd quality vs. preview quality
on Oct 3, 2016 at 2:22:52 pm

Do not watch the DVD on a PC, you will typically not get good results for a few reasons. DVD is usually interlaced video, and computers use progressive. Another issue is scaling to fit the output. Also using a software decoder. These factors degrade the quality.

Review the DVD using a regular set-top DVD or Blu-ray player, and the player must have an HDMI output to the TV display. Players with HDMI will have upscaling hardware built-in to deliver the best image to the display. If you use the analog (yellow RCA) output from DVD player to an HD display, you will not get a good image quality.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

petcov petru
on Oct 4, 2016 at 7:26:03 pm

Thank You for the information!

Anyway,after alot of research about this and that regarding Encore,and other DVD authoring packages i found that if i disabled Accelarated video output and other settings from VLC Preferences/Video the image from DVD looks better,smooter and not so jaggy...

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 4, 2016 at 7:41:15 pm

And that is exactly why if you really want to "proof" a DVD you have just made, one should use a DVD player and TV and not a computer - software players have so many settings/variables, there is no playback quality consistency. And of course if the DVDs are shared with others, you don't know what software they might be using or what settings they have...so test with a DVD player and TV and if DVD looks great....that's all you can do since we can't control how others might view the DVD.

If you expect a lot of your viewers to be using computers to watch your DVDs, then perhaps author them as Progressive rather than Interlaced, since computers don't have interlaced displays and depending on software settings, interlaced video can look very poor on a computer.

Each time I make a new DVD, I test it in the family room/home theater before making or distributing any copies.

Actually, if you are creating videos that you expect most viewers will watch on their computer, I would just get away from DVD completely - many new laptops don't have DVD players, and you can deliver a much better HD quality by delivering an H.264 file that will play on just about any device.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

petcov petru
on Oct 4, 2016 at 8:26:19 pm

Yes,You are very right about all of that,i know but hey,client wants a DVD -i make him a DVD.

By the way can I view the DVD played from DVD player,somehow not to be in Fullscreen,to see it for example in the original size 720X576.I tried from TV remote but there is no such an option,only wide zoom,changing aspect ratio...but not that.
Is there some other way to not watch it in Fullscreen mode?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 4, 2016 at 8:35:55 pm

If the DVD player is connected via HDMI, then the HDMI communication between player and display will determine resolution, so if TV is 720p then player will send 720p, or 1080i for 1080i TV.

If DVD player is connected by RCA (analog), then check in TV setup menu if there is a "1:1" option which might display actual pixels of incoming signal, some TVs offer that.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

petcov petru
on Oct 4, 2016 at 8:36:29 pm

Oh sorry i forgot to tell you that the DVD player is hooked by scart cable to TV...i know.

I found now a zoom button on my remote,but when i try it itsays that this operation is not possible,is that because of my fancy cable?

Return to posts index

petcov petru
on Oct 4, 2016 at 8:39:07 pm

And another question which is out of the topic but can you edit your post here only if it's the first one,i mean not if it's a reply?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]