FORUMS: list search recent posts

Made Mistake, now Blu Ray Quality Impossible?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gerry Cast
Made Mistake, now Blu Ray Quality Impossible?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 12:05:39 pm

Hi,

Searched around, but couldn't find an answer for this.

I've shot and edited about 10 Hi Def, two camera shoots of musical performers in studio over the last 3 years.

Since I figured I only needed Hi Def Windows Media Files as most people watch online now, I exported each video to Windows Media Player Hi Def for posting on online. At that time, I also exported from Encore CS6 for DVD as I didn't have a Blu Ray burner and felt that the DVD's looked good enough for the limited number of people that would see them.

I'm set to exhibit for 5 days straight in NYC next week with a 55" inch flatscreen TV showing these videos on a loop and figured I'd burn Blu Ray discs now for higher quality.

My question is, is the exported files for DVD that I made from Premier Pro going to display better when burned to Blu Ray disk, or are they already "dumbed down" to standard def?

I only have the Windows Media HD files and the Encore mv2 files of the videos. I can't go back and export from Premier again because all the color correction and filter/effects that I used on those video (Boris Continuim 8), because I'm on Adobe CC 2015 and Boris Cont. 8 won't work. I'd have to upgrade to Continuim 9 or 10, which I'm not able to do right now.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: Made Mistake, now Blu Ray Quality Impossible?
on Jan 6, 2016 at 2:15:48 pm

Use a laptop to play the WMV HD files into the monitor, they will look better than the DVD MPEG2 compression.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Gerry Cast
on Jan 6, 2016 at 2:51:11 pm

Thanks Joe.
I have a Blu Ray burner now, so should I just burn the Hi Def Windows Media files to a Blu Ray disc? Will the quality be equal to running from a laptop?

I'd like to avoid leaving a laptop running and sometimes unattended on the floor of the convention in NYC.

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Jan 6, 2016 at 3:23:59 pm

Burning the WMV files directly to the Blu-ray may not work. It depends on the make of the player and if it will play the WMV files. Most Blu-ray and DVD players will play back a .mov or .mp4 QuickTime files, but I'm not sure about the Microsoft formats.

Jeff mentioned encoding the files for and authoring a Blu-ray disc, which would be best if you have the time.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 6, 2016 at 2:51:31 pm

The DVD files are indeed "dumbed down" to SD, the HD quality is gone. However, most newer DVD players have HDMI output and hardware upscaling that can make a DVD look really good on an HD display (or play the DVD in a Blu-ray player, same deal). I found a DVD the other day that I made 10 years ago and popped it in the Blu-ray player going to a 60" plasma and was really amazed at the upscale quality!!

Or, if the Windows Media files are in fact HD, do as Joe said and use those for a true HD display for the viewers.

Lastly, if the WMV files are HD, those could be converted to Blu-ray, though the quality will suffer from being compressed again. Depends on bitrate and quality of the WMV files. On the subject of WMV files...I quit using them many years ago, as H.264 is now the universal standard that plays on everything, meaning Mac, PC, tablets, thumb drive into USB on a TV or DVD/Blu-ray player, online, etc.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Gerry Cast
on Jan 6, 2016 at 6:36:54 pm

Thanks Jeff!
I only continued with Windows Media HD because the You Tube suggestions and the presets in Premier Pro for You Tube H.264 all made the videos play kinda weird and herky jerky on my computer, so I never wanted to upload them like that to You Tube. The Win Med Hi Def files all looked beautiful on You Tube. I never figured out why, but instead just kept uploading those types. Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 6, 2016 at 7:13:15 pm

Just an FYI, YouTube does not play WMV files from their site, they are converting what you sent back to H.264 as soon as it's uploaded to them. Can't explain why your H.264 encodes were behaving badly though.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]