FORUMS: list search recent posts

MKV into Encore for Blu-ray authoring

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pl boucher
MKV into Encore for Blu-ray authoring
on Dec 24, 2015 at 5:58:44 am

Hey guys. First post, I hope you can help. I ripped some Blu-rays with MakeMKV (because it was the simplest & quickest way to do it) but now I would like to put them back on a custom disc.

I know there are some programs such as AVCHD that will author the MKV files , but I'd like to have more custom menu options, and frankly, more professional-looking menus, like you get with Adobe Encore. However, I also know that Encore doesn't accept MKV files...

So my question is: how would one author a Blu-ray (most likely BD-50) in Encore using MKV files? What is the proper way to "extract" and convert the streams? Would that be the same way than when converting MKV to something compatible with Premiere?

Thanks very much for your help!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: MKV into Encore for Blu-ray authoring
on Dec 24, 2015 at 4:24:16 pm

I've never ripped a Blu-ray, but have ripped DVDs (my own, to re-do when source was lost) and was able to get back the original .m2v video file using "MPEG StreamClip" app, which would go right back into Encore with no transcoding! So, I'd think there would be a way, some software out there, to get the native .m4v or .m2v back from the Blu-ray and that would be better than messing with Matroska. That file could then go right back into Encore.

You must have Premiere, so I would put the .mkv file on a Premiere timeline, then Export > Media and choose "H.264 Blu-ray" and create the media asset that Encore wants. Encore would have to transcode anyway, so just do it ahead of time and make compatible media to use in Encore.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Peter Boucher
on Dec 27, 2015 at 5:02:52 pm

Thanks for the reply! After looking around a bit, I tried the following:

• Extracted the Video and Audio streams from the MKV with MKVExtractGUI2
• Muxed them into a Blu-ray M2TS file with tsMuxerGUI
• Imported the resulting m2TS file into Encore and it looks like it works!

However, I notice that Encore says the imported assets are Untranscoded... Was m2TS the correct format to import the files?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 27, 2015 at 6:16:14 pm

Peter,
MKV are the most unlikely authoring-assets for BD-authoring at all - it´s a web-distribution-codec.

IF you want to author BDs, you need to have dedicated (spec-allowed) elementary streams for video and audio. therefor you need to rip the streams "nativly" and do NOT transcode it into another codec.

M2TS-files are stream-files and no single/elementary files, so the can´t be authored.

but if you have TSMuxer you can demux these files and use the resulting elementary files for authoring.

NOTE: TSMuxer could mux streams as well, but these streams wont be valid for replication because of stream-errors and there might be some odd things when using the demuxing-functions as well.

danny

Return to posts index

Peter Boucher
on Dec 27, 2015 at 8:15:21 pm
Last Edited By Peter Boucher on Dec 27, 2015 at 8:19:31 pm

Thanks Daniel. Yes, I had a feeling that MKV wasn't the way to go... What would be the best way of ripping the streams "natively" as you say?

Also, when you say "if you have TSMuxer you can demux these files and use the resulting elementary files for authoring", you mean demux the M2TS files, correct? Won't that accomplish the same thing as extracting the video and audio streams from the original MKV?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 28, 2015 at 2:52:24 pm

"Elementary files" means separate audio and video. For instance .m2v and .wav (or .ac3).

Since the .m2ts has both audio and video together in one clip, Encore needs to transcode (convert) the files further, being unable to work with it natively.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Feb 5, 2016 at 6:21:26 pm

If these are truly mkv made directly from a BD disc, all you
need do is demux the video and audio.

then import those into encore with transcoding turned off.

again it only works if it's an mkv directly off a blu-ray disc

if it is a re-encode from a BD encore won't take it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]