FORUMS: list search recent posts

Impoting HD files into Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Loschiavo
Impoting HD files into Encore
on Sep 28, 2015 at 9:21:11 am

I am trying to encode files from my camcorder to import into Encore. The files are MTS files. I can't seem to encode them into a form that Encore will accept and not re-encode. Any help would be great!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Impoting HD files into Encore
on Sep 29, 2015 at 3:17:51 pm

Hi Ken,

Do you want to burn a DVD or Blu-ray? Both require quite specific formats in order to meet the official "specs" for DVD or Blu-ray. Which means that anything you put into Encore that does not meet that narrow spec will require transcoding to a compliant format before burning the disc.

For NTSC DVDs, the spec is MPEG-2, 720x480 (with specific MPEG-2 settings)

For Blu-ray, you can use either MPEG-2 or H.264, again with certain settings

Put your camera clips on a Premiere timeline, then Export using one of the available DVD or Blu-ray format presets to export your material to a compliant format, then import the results into Encore to author. Proper video clips should not need transcoding then.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ken Loschiavo
on Sep 29, 2015 at 10:25:22 pm

After some tinkering, I got export to Encore to work. I am still learning! The export to encore still needed encoding though. But I made a final project and was happy with the results. I would like to find a way to only encode once though.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 30, 2015 at 1:41:14 pm

Ken,

Please clarify, are we talking DVD or Blu-ray? If DVD, then use the "MPEG-2 DVD" format to encode your files. And of course choose a preset appropriate to your material. The only setting you may need to fiddle with is the bitrate, depending on the program length.

Using this method will provide two files, .m2v video and .wav audio, and just import them into Encore. Encore will transcode the audio to Dolby AC-3, but should NOT be transcoding the video. If it is, you did something wrong.

Maybe you can share a screen grab of your export settings for review?

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ken Loschiavo
on Sep 30, 2015 at 4:15:25 pm
Last Edited By Ken Loschiavo on Sep 30, 2015 at 4:18:12 pm

I am trying to make a Blu-ray disk

Here are two screen grabs for the video

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Importing HD files into Encore
on Sep 30, 2015 at 4:26:31 pm

Thanks for the screen shots. I don't see anything that should cause a video transcode in Encore (using default Encore settings), however I would offer a few tips.

1) If you can, use a fast drive other than C: for exports. In fact, for any video editing work, the media should not be on C: drive as that hurts performance since Windows and programs also need to share access.

2) The "H.264 Blu-ray" preset will offer higher-quality than "MPEG-2 Blu-ray", at least at lower bit rates (MPEG-2 can look great at high bit rates), but H.264 may take longer to encode. Either will meet the spec.

3) You have the same data rate selected for Min, Target, Max, which defeats the purpose of Variable Bit Rate (VBR) encoding. If you want them all the same, then just select CBR (Constant Bit Rate).

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ken Loschiavo
on Sep 30, 2015 at 7:00:27 pm

Thanks for the tips/tweeks, but nothing I am doing should make Encore reencode. It just doesn't make sense.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 30, 2015 at 7:12:48 pm

Can you send a shot of the Encore screen where it shows the assets and transcode status please?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ken Loschiavo
on Sep 30, 2015 at 7:23:43 pm

Here it is

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Sep 30, 2015 at 7:38:46 pm

Ken,

We may have found the issue - your export settings says it will create an .m2v file, however you have an .m2t file in Encore, perhaps from an earlier attempt?

Start a NEW project, and import the .m2v file - what does it say for Transcode status?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ken Loschiavo
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:54:04 am

Here's your request

Return to posts index

Ken Loschiavo
on Oct 1, 2015 at 10:01:15 am

I built a project folder with the assets and timeline from the mt2 file I imported, then I imported the m2ts file that Encore created and it says it still needs encoding! The file that Encore encoded as BD compliant imports back into the project as untranscoded. I'm confused.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Oct 1, 2015 at 1:52:40 pm

Ken,

I just had an "a Ha!" moment. We are both looking at the DVD transcode status - but you are making a Blu-ray! Please expand the window further to the right and it should reveal the Blu-ray status that is currently hidden.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ken Loschiavo
on Oct 2, 2015 at 12:11:00 am

I will look into this!

Return to posts index

Ken Loschiavo
on Oct 2, 2015 at 9:12:28 am

I tried all these file containers and the BD encoding status is still "untranscoded"

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 2, 2015 at 6:56:25 pm
Last Edited By Daniel Ludwig on Oct 2, 2015 at 7:06:54 pm

attention: this is encore CS3!

a lot things that would work in CS5.5 or CS6 doesn´t work using encore CS3, besides the fact that encore CS3 is a lot! more buggy than encore CS6.

and: DVD-/BD-authoring needs valid elementary-streams. you can´t use M2TS or MTS-files for BD-authoring.

I would advice to use elementary H264-files, you should find a dedicated transcoding-setting within media encoder.

when your files have been encoded to H264, there should be "untranscoded" info within your project-window, because it DONT need to be transcoded (as it´s allready transcoded) according to the BD-specs.

and finally: as m2ts/mts-files are not valid for BD-authoring they will be flaged as "untranscoded" and will be transcoded while multiplexing your BD.

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]