FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i HD video to SD DVD creating jagged lines

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rebecca Kirsh
1080i HD video to SD DVD creating jagged lines
on May 7, 2015 at 7:11:06 pm

I'm trying to make my 1080i video look good on an SD DVD. I went to media encoder and exported mpeg2-DVD format, 30 fps, upper first, widescreen 16:9 then imported it into encore. In encore I went to file - edit quality presets, NTSC dv high quality 7Mb, VBR 2 pass, 30 fps, field order upper, widescreen, then burned to DVD it looked bad on playback. It creates jagged lines whenever there's movement. It's a dance and about an hour and 30 minutes long. I need to know how to make the jagged lines go away! I am on a deadline and the client needs to have a quality product. Please help me!

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
Re: 1080i HD video to SD DVD creating jagged lines
on May 7, 2015 at 8:18:20 pm

Try changing the field order to None and make it Progressive.

Joe

Living the SuiteLife!
Stuff for editors http://www.cafepress.com/suitelife

http://www.facebook.com/pages/SuiteLife/1524456414462851?ref=hl

Return to posts index

Rebecca Kirsh
on May 10, 2015 at 1:27:50 am

Thanks! That solved the problem!!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 7, 2015 at 9:03:43 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Pulera on May 7, 2015 at 9:05:35 pm

Hi Rebecca,

I've actually never had good luck with the 1080i to DVD workflow within Adobe and feel that I have tried every different thing I could think of, and also tried what others suggested.

I did finally have success using FREE third-party solutions with exceptional results. While it adds some time and complexity to the process, completely worth it to me. I'm making progressive DVDs from 1080i sources and played on a Blu-ray player to a 60" Plasma, looks like HD to me, just beautiful results! And this is on a 2.5-hour dance program, squeezed onto a 4.7GB disc.

Note that I edit with Premiere and still use Encore to author, however converting the HD video to MPEG-2 DVD uses other software.

You can contact me at jeffp at sharbor dot com for more info

EDIT: this is for PC only

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 9, 2015 at 12:44:52 am

[Jeff Pulera] "I'm making progressive DVDs from 1080i sources and played on a Blu-ray player to a 60" Plasma, looks like HD to me,"

You haven't seen good HD content then! :-)

To be clear: you're above quoted line means that you're downscaling 1080i onto an SD-DVD, playing that in a Blu-Ray player and that player is then upscaling your footage back to 1080p on a 60" monitor. There's really no world that exists where that would look better than just playing your 1080i content straight to that plasma monitor from a Blu-Ray disc. If you're required to make SD-DVD's I understand you trying to make the best product possible. But that's not ever going to be as crisp, sharp, detailed, or chroma accurate as the 1080 source.

Just my $.02

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 11, 2015 at 1:18:34 pm

Ryan,

I never said that the DVD looked better than HD. Just saying it doesn't look like SD! It's "as good as it's going to get" starting with an HDV source. No argument that a Blu-ray would look even better (obviously), but that was not the original question. My point was that (in my opinion), doing a "Pepsi or Coke" blind test, many viewers might assume they were watching an HD source. I'm very fussy about quality, pixel peeping my own work constantly, and I'm amazed at what the third-party "HD2SD" apps can do.

Thank you

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on May 11, 2015 at 1:51:47 pm

[Jeff Pulera] "I never said that the DVD looked better than HD."

Fair enough. I read your previous post and thought, "No way can Jeff can be saying that!" :-) If you have to go to SD, there are good applications to downconvert in now.

[Jeff Pulera] " I'm very fussy about quality, pixel peeping my own work constantly, and I'm amazed at what the third-party "HD2SD" apps can do."

True. I think the downconvert from HD to SD has gotten better (same with 4K to HD).

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on Jul 1, 2015 at 1:31:22 pm

Hey Jeff I know this thread is over a month old but I'm really interested in the 3rd party solutions you had exception results with in your HD to standard definition workflow. I'm editing a 2 camera dance program shot in 1280 X 720 60p. Love the image results when my final product is Blu Ray but more than annoyed when it's standard definition DVD knowing it's probably being played back on an HD TV or monitor. I'm always willing to go the extra mile to get the image results I desire so if you're willing to share your workflow and/or those 3rd party solutions I'm all ears!!

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 1, 2015 at 2:12:22 pm

Hi Keith,

You can reach out to me at email in my original posting

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved