FORUMS: list search recent posts

I don't want DVD player to "play from last point"

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Graeme Alderson
I don't want DVD player to "play from last point"
on Mar 11, 2015 at 5:14:15 pm

Just moved to Adobe Encore from DVD Lab and it is, as some of you will know, it's such an improvement.

I have created a disc with a keypad as a child protection feature (multiple menus and a lot of links but it works perfectly. Some content is accessed via a 4-number pin...it works fine but that's not the problem.

Problem is...when you put the disc back in the player, it starts at the point at which it was last viewed...and that could be the pin-protected material...missing out the keypad.

I want it to start at the First Play menu every time.

Anybody got any ideas? I never had this problem with DVD Lab (lots of other problems though!) so I'm hoping there is a setting I'm missing within Encore.

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: I don't want DVD player to "play from last point"
on Mar 17, 2015 at 10:42:26 pm

I'll bet the problem lies inside your DVD player, not the authoring software. Many Sony DVD players have a feature that remembers where playback stopped and stores that point for the next time the DVD is inserted. Then playback resumes exactly where it left off. To disable this behavior when stopping playback, you hit the stop button twice, then eject the DVD.

I have an old Pioneer DVD player that also has this feature. I'm not sure if any other brands do this.

Also check whether there is a menu setting in the player that controls storage of the last playback point.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Graeme Alderson
on Mar 18, 2015 at 8:41:09 am

Thanks Bill
I'm sure you're right.
Thank you for taking the time to replay.

Graeme

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 18, 2015 at 4:59:25 pm

Graeme,

Implementing a screen where you enter a pin number to access content is about as secure as the CSS copy protection is -- there are many ways to bypass it. DVD Spec never had the ability to implement unbreakable locks.

FYI, by DVD Spec, stopping playback of a disc with the DVD player's stop button terminates execution of all programming on the DVD and clears all memory registers in the player.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]