FORUMS: list search recent posts

Subtitle Drift

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Brunson
Subtitle Drift
on Feb 21, 2015 at 5:17:19 pm

I'm having an issue with subtitle drift in Encore CS6. I'm hoping others have had the same issue and have come up with a solution.

I have a timeline that's 1 hour and 5 minutes. It's 23.98. The subtitles, both English and Spanish, were originally created in SRT format as our primary method of distribution has been VHX.tv. I'm on a Mac and used cross-platform subtitle tool Jubler to convert the SRT to Encore TXT file. I paid special attention to make sure it didn't change the frame rate.

When I import it into Encore, it drifts by approximately 3 seconds towards the end. It seems to be a drop frame/non-drop frame type of drift but Encore acknowledges that the timeline is in 23.98. I converted the subtitles to 24 fps. I've opened up the txt file and changed the semicolons to colons. Everything I've done so far hasn't resulted in anything different.

I'm going a little nuts. Hopefully I'm just missing something obvious?

I'm on a Mac Pro running 10.10.2 if that makes any kind of difference.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Subtitle Drift
on Feb 22, 2015 at 10:28:00 am

Jeremy,
yes - this a DF-/NDF-thing. sometimes you need to import subtitles as 24fps and export them as 23.98 and other way round. I know this behaviour with BDN-sripts for blu-ray.

could you upload the SRT-, and the resulting encore-file, so one can have a look at it.

danny

Return to posts index

Jeremy Brunson
on Feb 23, 2015 at 2:00:30 am

Hi,

I've included a link to the dropbox folder with two SRT files and my encore folder. In the project, I've got a subtitle track that's drifting for reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yaq6c21ozvgq1vk/AAAoVOwIQ_I5aU_vffSODn6Ia?dl=0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best,
Jeremy

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 23, 2015 at 6:43:36 am

Jeremy,
is it 3sec to early or to late?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Brunson
on Feb 23, 2015 at 7:43:46 am

The subtitles are about 3 seconds behind the audio and video about an hour in.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 23, 2015 at 8:02:32 am

Hi,
these subtitles should fit:

http://www.moviedesign.de//files/20150224_subs_rosetta.zip

danny

Return to posts index

Jeremy Brunson
on Feb 23, 2015 at 11:36:01 pm

Thank you so much! They fit perfectly. Do you just have a good subtitle editor? I tried adjusting the framerate in Jubler but the end result was the same.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Feb 24, 2015 at 6:12:58 am

Jeremy,
Jubbler is a good application to start with. I´m working on a mac as well and I´m using annotiation edit for subtitle-editing.

http://www.zeitanker.com

It´s a bit weird with the subtitles, especially if you´ve got 24fps or 23.98fps. mostly you need to do a trial and error. sometimes they fit if you export as 24fps with 24fps-footage, sometimes they need to be exported as 23.98fps. no clue about it.

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]