FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't make an H264 blu-ray that works

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerel Peterson
Can't make an H264 blu-ray that works
on Jan 1, 2015 at 1:52:44 am
Last Edited By Jerel Peterson on Jan 14, 2015 at 3:47:46 am

I have tried this off-and-on for several years, and tried again today, but I have NEVER once gotten an BD disc to work when I exported the video from Premiere using H264 Blu-Ray.

They either skip the menu and jump in to the middle of the disc and start playing, or they freeze SOLID after a minute or two. I have to actually unplug the player and start it up again just to be able to get the disc to eject.

My Mpeg2 Blu-Rays work fine. Is there something different that needs to be done in the workflow to make an H264 BD work?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Can's make an H264 blu-ray that works
on Jan 2, 2015 at 4:06:40 pm

Hi Jerel,

As with making DVDs in the old days, home-burned Blu-rays can have compatibility issues with some players and media brands. Not every player likes burned discs, or may need a firmware update.

Have you tried a different player, or different media at all?

What about data rate used for the Encode? Some folks crank it right up to 40 max and that is a mistake. There are many reasons the disc might fail.

If you can share more about your workflow and perhaps a screen shot of the export settings that may shed some light on the situation.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
Re: Can't make an H264 blu-ray that works
on Jan 11, 2015 at 11:58:47 pm
Last Edited By Jerel Peterson on Jan 14, 2015 at 3:48:10 am

I've had 3 different Sony models over the past 2 years. None have worked for H264. Two worked for MPG2. Oddly, it was the $50 black Friday units that played my burned DVDs without problem, while a more expensive model couldn't.

I've tried ri-data Blu-Ray DVDs and Verbatim, no difference as far as H264 is concerned.

I almost always stick with the default export settings with 20 as the max rate.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Jan 5, 2015 at 7:57:46 pm

Jerel,

If your MPEG-2 Blu-ray discs play successfully in your player, compatibility is most likely not the issue.

Our experience burning Blu-ray discs is that the H.264 codec works better than MPEG-2 -- better compatibility plus better picture quality at same or lower bit rate.

We encode using either AME or Apple Compressor 3, 25-30Mb (subject to bit budgeting requirements), Main Concept H.264 codec. Audio should be Dolby .ac3 (same options as for DVD). Make sure Encore is set to "Do Not Transcode" for both audio & picture streams. It is important to use Main Concept H.264, as this is a spec-compliant codec that produces excellent image quality.

You should be able to build and burn a compatible BD-R disc inside Encore. Just be aware that some brands of Blu-ray players do not play burned BD-R discs at all. Check manufacturers' web site for more info.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

John Perez
on Feb 4, 2015 at 12:26:31 am

Same problem here: H.264 file will not burn; gives me error messages. No problem with MPEG2. I see that the MPEG4 file is superior, but my burner will not cooperate at all. I'll try to study the points made by Stephan to see if I can get it to work, but I'm late on delivery of this job and I've got burn what I can.

As always thanks so much to you guys...Johnny In Orlando

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]