FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect ratio mess

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ellen osborne
Aspect ratio mess
on Dec 23, 2014 at 7:04:41 pm

I have a .MOV file that I have created in Premiere Pro CC. It is 1920 x 1080. I am trying to burn a SD DVD with it. I imported it into Encore 6 as an .mov file. When I burn the video it comes out hugely stretched horizontally and vibrating terribly. What am I doing wrong? Please help. Thank you.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: Aspect ratio mess
on Dec 23, 2014 at 9:35:33 pm

Hi Ellen,

Best advice is to not use an HD .mov file in Encore to burn a DVD. From Premiere, export as "MPEG-2 DVD" and use an appropriate preset such as "NTSC Widescreen" or "NTSC Widescreen Progressive". This will create the proper assets for Encore (.m2v video and .wav audio). The video will not need further transcoding, only the audio gets converted to AC-3 Dolby in Encore automatically.

In Premiere Export panel, check "Max Render Quality" as this will help with the downscale quality.

One thing you may need to adjust when exporting MPEG-2 DVD is the bitrate, depending on program length. Rule of thumb is 560/minutes = bitrate, but not to exceed 8.0 on shorter projects. I typically round down a little for safety margin. Example: 560/120=4.66 and I encode at 4.5 then.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Dec 23, 2014 at 11:59:17 pm

Thank you for your reply. However, when I choose export MPEG-2 DVD from Premiere I get stretching vertically. What can I do?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 24, 2014 at 4:47:18 pm

Hi Ellen,

Where are you seeing stretching? It will be helpful if you can post a screen shot of the export settings window showing the source and export settings. We'll get to the bottom of this.

Make sure when you choose "MPEG-2 DVD" that you select a WIDESCREEN preset, since you are starting with a 16:9 HD source.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Dec 24, 2014 at 8:32:50 pm

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for your help. The stretching is vertically. I was able to burn a blu-ray without any problem, but I would like to know how to make an SD - DVD. Here are my export setting and two images. The first image is what it should look like. The second image is what it looks like after choosing MPEG2-DVD. Thanks for the help. Ellen

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Dec 26, 2014 at 4:17:08 pm

Hi Ellen,

What is the source of the footage? HD video is normally going to be 1080 HD (1920x1080) or 720p (1280x720), both of which neatly work out as a 16:9 ratio.

However, I see that your source is 2048 x 1080, which is called "2k" video. This does not work out nicely as 16:9, is more like 17:9 so I guess that is where the issue begins. Having never worked with a 2k source myself, not sure what the best workflow will be to get to DVD.

When looking at the export panel, the left will show a Preview and at the top there are drop down options for scaling, such as "Scale to Fit", "Scale to Fill", "Stretch to Fill" so you might play with those and see how it looks in the Preview window.

Another thought would be to create a 1080p sequence, and put your media into that before exporting (possibly nest the 2k sequence). You may have to scale the video a bit to fit the frame, so I'm guessing it would result in narrow black letterboxing?

I also noticed that the source video shows 24p, while the export is 23.976, the latter being correct for video. True 24p is for film. I don't know if your footage really is 24p or if the wrong sequence preset was used? Anyways, this may affect the smoothness of the playback since the frame rate is being changed a bit.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

ellen osborne
on Dec 26, 2014 at 8:53:26 pm

I did an output that was 1920 x 1080 via After Effects (which is where everything was built) and chose MPEG2_DVD using it, but still had the same vertical stretch problem. I think I'll just stick with the Blu-ray since it seems to work perfectly and my interest in resolving the standard DVD issue is waning. Thank you for your time and ideas. One of the things I love about Creative Cow are the helpfulness of all the experts. Cheers!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]