FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing framerate of a .srt subtitles

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Filip Olšar
Changing framerate of a .srt subtitles
on Oct 21, 2014 at 7:39:19 pm

Hi,

I`m creating a DCP with subtitles and I needed to transform the video from 25 to 24 fps. My .srt titles are timed for the 25 fps video and now I need to transform it to 24 fps. When trying to export it from AegiSub with the change frame rate filter, it gives me weird bugs (e.g. duplicates lines).

Does anyone knows any sw that might help me to change the frame rate?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Changing framerate of a .srt subtitles
on Oct 22, 2014 at 3:37:52 pm

zeitanker annotation-edit could do this easily! it´s a mac-software I´m using.

if you need to create a DCP - you need to conform 25ps to 24fps, subtitles with DCPs are implemented with a XML-file.

24fps is an interop- , 25fps is an SMPTE-DCP.

danny

Return to posts index

Oki Pienandoro
on Nov 24, 2014 at 4:23:37 am

http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit/
It's one of the best freeware tools IMO.

------------------------------------------
Sorry for the english, not native speaker.

Return to posts index

SPOTS
on Nov 1, 2015 at 1:47:15 am

Dealing with great weirdness (see below), I tried to download a bunch of free apps (Subtitle Editor, Subtitle Workshop among others) and so far I could not find any cheap solution to my problem.
Neither Subtitle Editor, nor Subtitle Workshop would work. The app just won't install (running Windows 7 Family on Bootcamp). Given I feel my problem comes from Aegisub, I thought I would install its latest version… then I remember why I sticked to an older version: their latest version won't install (Mac OS10.8.5).

I need to export an alpha sub station file to import subtitles in Encore CS6. I do my export in Aegisub. So far so good! But that's about it! My video is 23.976fps. In Aegisub, all my subtitles are perfectly in sync with both the video and the audio files (2 separate media). Upon export I find out in Encore that the subtitles drifts increasingly… by almost 3.5 seconds per hour. End result, my movie is almost 2 hours long and at the end of the movie the subtitles are about 6.5 seconds late (while it's in perfect sync in Aegisub).

As said above, I spent hours on searching on the web. All those good free apps that I hoped could resolve my issue just won't install. The only thing I found was Annotation Edit. With a simple click in the preference settings (switching the time base to 23.976) would fix it. All the time codes in the .ass file get corrected. Ok… but it's a pricey solution as it sells for 300€ (I saw someone mentioned it costs 29$… I guess it's a typo).

Would anyone have a clue how I can resolve my issue besides buying Annotation Edit?
I lurked at every single settings in Aegisub, but could not find anything. It's weird we just can't change the timebase in Aegisub (not talking of converting the frame rate upon export… obviously it doesn't' work as it translate time codes with a wrong time base info in the first place).

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Nov 1, 2015 at 10:36:00 am

What happens if you switch Encore to non-drop frame?
The difference you describe is exactly the drop / non drop time difference.
(0,1 %)

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

SPOTS
on Nov 1, 2015 at 2:22:14 pm

Thank you for your feedback.
If I could change the time base in Encore, it would then affect my video and audio tracks which are correct though. Only the subtitle tracks causes me this issue. Also, Encore proposes only one 23.976 time base, so there is nothing I could change on this side.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]