FORUMS: list search recent posts

importing chapter markers

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Nolting
importing chapter markers
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:02:19 am

My workflow has always been Final Cut Pro and dvdsp to make DVD's for over 13 years now.
Now I am going to HD material. Of course you all know that my journey comes to a grindingb halt at making a BD disk withApple's products.
So my new workflow is FCP to edit HD video and Adobe Encore to author / burn BD disks.

The problem is that I have dozens of chapter markers.

On a 2011 post someone said to export the project (via xml) to Premier pro and then port to Encore.

This DOES NOT WORK!!!!
There are no transitions or fonts in FCP that are in Premier Pro or vise versa. The result is "default" transitions (and there are VERY few transitions nin Premier). and "default" fonts. this is not accaptable.

If I view the xml file that FCP produces, I can see the frame numbers for the chapter points. There must be a way to import a chapter list into Encore.If anyone knows, please let me know.

One process i triied is to finish my FCP project, delete the video / audio and titles (leaving only the chapter markers).
Expoert this, and import into Premier. But, I get nothing in Premier after importing.
Thanks for help

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: importing chapter markers
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:13:20 pm

michael,
Which version of PP are you using?

I know it's possible to bring FCP-chaptermarker into encore via PP, but I couln't check the workflow again, as I'm on vacation and writing from my ipad.

you should export the final film from within FCP, then also export the xml containing the chaptermaker. make sure the markers are ALL set as chaptermarker.

then use the dynamic linking from PP to encore. but check the markers within the premiere-project as well before you do this.

danny

Return to posts index

Michael Nolting
on Jul 26, 2014 at 9:17:10 pm

Danny,
Thanks for the reply
I am using Premiere CS5.5

All of my FCP markers are chapter markers.
When I import the project, the markers are not Encore chapter markers, whats more is that the markers are shown in the video and audio itself, NOT at the top of the sequence window.

If I move to the marker and edit it, change it to "Encore Chapter Marker" THEN the marker is at the top where you normally see the markers (however, still existing in the audio and video media)

More ever,
When importing my project, I do not see the audio waveforms in the audio track. If I just plop the video I am using in FCP directly into the sequence, I get audio waveforms.

The FCP project is very basic, 3 min of HD video with 3 chapter markers, no other editing whatsoever.
Thanks

Return to posts index

Andre Gomes
on Nov 2, 2015 at 1:51:33 am

Hi Michael,
If I understand what Danny is saying,you need to take the FCP export through PP import and link chapter markers from XML details.One thing you may need to check is that in PP they are coming up as Chapter markers and not just ordinary markers.In PP the green markers are just ordinary, I think by default colours. And chapter markers are red.
Another work around is baking in the chapters (exporting chapters and replacing in a new timeline) so all FX/Transistions are left as basic dissolves and cuts, XML details should be fine then.
Realise it's been some time and you have prob solved problem. I have been seeking whether it is possible also to export FCP with usable Chpt Markers in Encore. I'll have to try it also.
Cheers
Andre

Return to posts index

Michael Nolting
on Nov 5, 2015 at 5:21:02 am

Andrew,
Thanks for the reply.

I have been going through this situation for a longtime. Unless PP and FCP both have the same exact transitions and fonts , importing any FCP project into PP is worthless. I know, just do the cutting and chapters in FCP and then do transitions and titles in PP.
Problem is, I need 3D transitions where you can alter the border size and color of transitions. FCP transitions do this.
Just try and find this type of transition for PP. I have been looking for years, there just aren't any.
---------------------------------------------------------------

I have looked at Encores project file. Too bad that it is binary, unlike PP which is HTML, which can be altered / changed by a VB program that I could write.

Has anyone done any investigation on how the data works in Encores' project file??

This would be great.

Return to posts index

Andre Gomes
on Nov 8, 2015 at 8:08:07 am

I can't remember where I saw a tutorial on exporting FCP edit decision for premiere. But basically to avoid transition problems. You can export out any fcp elements that do not translate in premiere, replace those files into your time line and the fcp export edit decision list should work fine in PP. Only having to deal with basic transitions. All you need to do then is make those exported files available for premiere linking.

It would be nice if the data for chapter points could also be translated.

Return to posts index

Mary Williams
on Aug 6, 2014 at 2:08:51 pm

Whenever I have chapter markers in a Premiere project I just export the project into an MPEG-DVD file, and if you then import the file into Encore then the chapter markers are saved! It will show them in Encore.

Also, I believe the new way to bring a Premiere sequence into Encore is through Encore - there should be an option to bring in a sequence but I haven't tried that yet.

Hope this helps, good luck.

~Mary

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]