FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD Timeline output to Blu-ray

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Moore
DVD Timeline output to Blu-ray
on May 26, 2014 at 4:17:34 pm

I'm using Encore CS6 along with Premiere cc with the goal of making blu-ray disks from my original 1920 X 1080 symphony concert video. I have a standard 720 X 480 Encore timeline set up and have transcoded the DVD from there but wonder if I need to start completely over again when I want full hd or is there a way to use the timeline I've painstakingly assembled and merely output to blu-ray? I've also just added an ASUS BW-12D1S-U external blu-ray burner but wonder if I really need to install the extra content with it, such as "Power DVD 10 with Magic Cinema," or just use Encore?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: DVD Timeline output to Blu-ray
on May 27, 2014 at 2:35:23 pm

Hi Ron,

The recommended workflow is to first create the Blu-ray project in Encore, then the menus are all HD already. Once that is all set up, then you can simply tell it to output to DVD and it will downscale it all.

Since the menus in Encore are currently SD, you don't want to "blow those up" to HD, they will look terrible. You may want to use AME to create the "H.264 Blu-ray" assets from Premiere, then start a NEW Blu-ray project in Encore for best results.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ron Moore
on May 27, 2014 at 2:48:44 pm

Thanks for the help, Jeff. Is H.264 Blu-ray preferable to MPEG-2 Blu-Ray?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 27, 2014 at 3:12:05 pm

Hi Ron,

H.264 is a more efficient codec than the older MPEG-2. That said, at high bitrates, the two may look the same, so MPEG-2 may be just fine for shorter projects. However, at lower bitrates, H.264 has the definite quality advantage and would be the choice for longer videos.

Being more complex, H.264 will take longer to encode than MPEG-2, but unless you have really outdated computer hardware, that shouldn't be much of an issue for most folks.

So while there's nothing wrong with using MPEG-2 (it's part of the Blu-ray spec), I'm just in the habit of always using H.264 myself.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Ron Moore
on May 27, 2014 at 3:44:19 pm

Thank-you much, Jeff. I have an hour long symphony concert and just preferred it to be seen in HD, so I've added this Blu-ray burner and was looking for the most efficient workflow to go about it. I really appreciate these Creative Cow forums. They have saved the day for me several times with Cinema 4D, After Effects, and now Premiere and Encore!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on May 30, 2014 at 7:55:51 pm

one more thing:

encore is transcoding ALL menus to MPEG2 - so best workflow for menus would be to use uncompressed video and NOT to encode to H264, otherwise it your H264 will be re-transcoded to MPEG2HD.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]