FORUMS: list search recent posts

PANIC TIME -- Some files refuse to play

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jerel Peterson
PANIC TIME -- Some files refuse to play
on May 25, 2014 at 4:52:05 am

This has now happened for the 2nd straight year. I am making a graduation video for my high school. Each senior has a segment of a few minutes. The original project was done in After Effects by a student, then they were brought in to Premiere. Finally, each segment was exported out of Premiere for MPG2 BluRay.

I set up my timelines and menu in Encore. When I preview it in Encore, everything plays. But when I burn the disc and play it in a set-top DVD player, there are several timelines that don't play at all. It just seems to run the end action and hi-lites the next button. I have tried the discs on 2 different BluRay players with the same result. But when I put the disc in a blu-ray player on a computer, all timelines play just fine.

The only thing I can see as possibly being a cause is that the AE projects that were used to make these problematic segments were not 29.97 -- but there are several others that are not 29.97 and those DO play.

I am in the process of re-exporting the files in AE in a 29.97 project, but it will take several hours, so I'm quitting for the night.

Is there anything else that I should be looking at? Graduation is tomorrow and I want to be able to give each senior their own working copy of the DVD (at least the part that will be shown at graduation IS working, but most students will want to show their longer individual slideshow at their open house).

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
Re: PANIC TIME -- Some files refuse to play
on May 25, 2014 at 10:39:52 am

First question -- are you making a Bluray or a DVD disc? You talk about exporting from premiere for MPEG2 Bluray, but then talk about wanting to give the students a copy of the DVD....

If it's DVD, export the videos for MPEG2 with a DVD setting, not Bluray, and see what happens.

Also, if it's DVD, is this a dual-layer or single-layer project? Dual-layer writable DVDs are extremely problematic for playback, and you can expect that they will fail to play in many players. Creating two single-layer DVDs instead of one dual-layer will be much better.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on May 25, 2014 at 11:41:02 am

It's all being done in Blu-Ray. They are single-layer discs. I'm on my way back to the school now to re-export the last 2 timelines and then burn a new BD.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on May 25, 2014 at 3:39:06 pm

Well, no change after exporting the AE projects from a 29.97 comp. Those 3 files still will not play on my desktops, but they've worked on all 3 computers that I've tried.

Return to posts index

Jerel Peterson
on May 25, 2014 at 6:25:41 pm

Problem solved.

I had gone back in to After Effects and changed the AE comp to 29.97, exported, then brought the new file in to Premiere. What I didn't realize is that when the student created the original sequences in Premiere, the sequences changed from 29.97 to 25 fps PAL to match the AE video output.

So, I was bringing in 29.97 video into 25 fps sequences. Once I realized that, I just created new sequences for 29.97 and pulled in the 29.97 video and now all is well. The odd thing is, there were some 24 fps sequences and some 23.9xx sequences, but those worked fine.

Of course, I didn't realize the solution until after I had made a bD disc for every senior,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]