FORUMS: list search recent posts

unwanted effect/artifact with mastered DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Betts
unwanted effect/artifact with mastered DVD
on May 21, 2014 at 2:55:18 pm

Have an issue where a dance studio has taped lines on the stage floor for dancer placement. Now this isn't a problem that appears in my raw footage or my compressed file but does with my mastered standard def DVD. Have tried multiple settings in Encore but still get an annoying result where the taped lines on the floor wave and fluctuate. Anyone ever come across anything similar? Baffling to me in that it only appears with the mastered DVD. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: unwanted effect/artifact with mastered DVD
on May 23, 2014 at 5:14:47 am

Keith,
is it recorded in HD? downscaling could result in line-effects, especially if it has been shot as 1440x1080.

what cam did you use and what codec?

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on May 23, 2014 at 2:19:57 pm

Yes recorded in HD with JVC GY-HM700 camcorder. Quicktime format 1280 x 720 60 p. What's confusing me is that this effect does not appear with my Sorenson Squeeze DVD preset compressed file. Only appears with Adobe Encore 6.0.1.013 authored standard definition DVD. Could it be anything with Field Order or an interlace/deinterlace issue? Settings in Encore would seem to be the problem. I've tried so many adjustments in Encore but can't seem to build a DVD without this issue.

Got the same event coming up in few weeks at the same venue and was hoping to find a solution. If I recall correctly this was not an issue with my Blu Ray version of the same event. Possibly something I have to live with as an inherent problem with downscaling HD to SD.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on May 23, 2014 at 4:17:01 pm

Keith,
to shot in 720p60 is the worst thing for DVD you can do!!

60fames progressive would never fit to the 30frames interlaced that are needed for DVD. of course it would be OK on the blu-ray, as 720p60 is a part of the BD-spec.

but p60 on DVD - sorry, never ever!! every 2nd frame will be deleted through the encoding-process.

IF you need to give your customer a DVD as well, the best advice would be to shot in 1080i60 which will fit perfect with DVD & BD.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 23, 2014 at 5:25:22 pm

Hi Keith,

Since you shot with 720p60, edit that in a 720p30 sequence and then export as "MPEG-2 DVD" using a "Widescreen Progressive" preset. No sense creating an interlaced DVD from a progressive a source.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on May 23, 2014 at 9:21:59 pm

using 720p60 for DVD doesn´t make sence - every 2nd frame will be deleted (be not visible).

so 1080i30 or 1080p30 will be the best way you can go.

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on May 23, 2014 at 11:08:40 pm

Not really concerned with what I've already shot. That's done and over with! I was using it for testing purposes anyway with recently purchased Sorenson Squeeze. What I am concerned about is the record format of my JVC HD camcorder for this year's event. It will be going to standard def DVD. Am I correct to assume I shoot interlaced for DVD? I have 2 choices for resolution: 1440 x 1080 or 1920 x 1080. Any recommendations? The event runs about 3.5 hours.

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on May 23, 2014 at 5:27:53 pm

My logic for 60p was to compensate for the quick and sudden movement of dance, which is what I was shooting. As far as shooting in 1280 x 720 that is a resolution that was first recommended to me for the JVC by a post here in Creative Cow and I quote, "The camera is set up to best shoot in progressive at 1280x720..."

Now I've never shot this cam at 1080i. The event I'm shooting is quite long and I end up with 2 DVD's. Won't the larger resolution size make my files quite large or will they only be slightly larger than 1280x720? I certainly can test this at the dress rehearsal. And probably most important of all, I'm assuming shooting interlaced vs progressive is better suited to DVD as well?

Thanks for the advice. That's why I come to Creative Cow. As I like to say, "I'm an old dog still learning new tricks!" Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on May 23, 2014 at 9:16:06 pm

Keith,
1080i60 will fit perfect with SD DVD - but the only thing you need to be aware of is that 1080i60 is upper field first, SD NTSC is (normally) lower field first, so your SD-MPEG2-setting needs to be upper field first in this case.

I´m living in PAL-land where upper field is "normal" so I don´t think about that.

allways be awared that your transcoding-setting should fit to the input-source.

danny

Return to posts index

Keith Betts
on May 23, 2014 at 11:20:24 pm

Final thought, when you say 1080i I'm assuming you mean shoot true HD at 1920 x 1080 60i because earlier you questioned if I shot at 1440 x 1080. Are there any inherent problems when shooting 1440 x 1080 when the final product is going to standard def DVD? And wouldn't the downscaling from 1920 compared to 1440 be open to more problems?

Thanks for the advice! I geared up my post production equipment for Blu Ray only to see it's lack of greater consumer acceptance. It kills me to shoot in HD and deliver in standard definition only to have my end product probably viewed on some HD video monitor! But that's what this market segment seems to demand.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on May 27, 2014 at 2:31:06 pm

Hi Keith,

For me, going from 1080i to DVD has always been a problem - most software packages just do not do a good job of dealing with both the downscaling and the fielding issues and the end result is a DVD with flickering of motion and near-horizontal lines.

My two HDV cameras ONLY shoot 1080i, so I've been fighting this for many years. Finally started using the "HD2SD" method to get good results, converting my footage to progressive, but it's a time-consuming and complicated workflow and may not be for everyone.

I would highly recommend shooting at 30p and just create a progressive DVD and do away with the whole interlacing fiasco for best results. I have on occasion rented or borrowed cameras that shoot 1080p30 and the workflow is much better that way.

If you check you camera manual, you may find that the data rate is the same whether shooting 720 or 1080, so in reality, the 720p would likely yield better quality in most cases, since you're not delivering in HD.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]