FORUMS: list search recent posts

Bad looking menus in Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
brittany wynne
Bad looking menus in Encore
on May 8, 2014 at 7:05:40 pm

Hello,

I am building a bluray and having a problem with some of my menus in Encore. (see attached images for further explanation)

Basically my menus and popup menus look fine on the computer (image 1 and 2), but when i burn them i start running into problems. The regular menus still look good, but the popup menus start getting all 8bit and pixelated kinda looking (image 3 and 4). Does anyone know how to solve this? I have a moving background behind both the regular and popup menus.

I tried checking the "export highlights in rich colors" option but that just inverted what was highlighted and still had the bad gradient.

My actual highlight part of the button is solid, the image and text gradient is just a layer behind it.

Also when i build a multi-page menu, the previous menus that looked good now start to take on the same look as the popups, all because i added pages.

I am somewhat new to using Encore and can not really find much else about this so any help is appreciated.

I am using Cs6

Return to posts index

Vince Becquiot
Re: Bad looking menus in Encore
on May 12, 2014 at 4:26:25 pm

Hi Brittany,

That's because menus are limited to 4 colors maximum by DVD standard. In your case, you will have to get rid of the glow around the text. You could make it part of the background, but not the menu text layer itself.

Vince Becquiot

Indigo Live | Kaptis Media

San Francisco Bay Area

Return to posts index

brittany wynne
on May 12, 2014 at 5:14:43 pm

So that is just how Popups and multi-page menus on blurays are?

The regular menus don't give me the problem, it is only with the other 2 when i run into the problem. And on those i can't make it part of the background because they will disappear on popups and stay on when it shouldn't when on the background of multi-page menus.

I will try to see if i can find a work around.
Thanks anyways.

Return to posts index

Robin Henson
on May 14, 2014 at 9:45:48 pm

It's not quite so severe a Blu-ray limitation as such. Menu pages use an 8-bit indexed color table, and every page (whether regular menu or popup) can in theory have a different color table.

I think you're running into a combination of two problems:

-- Encore is trying to be clever, but isn't succeeding very well. (It looks like it's trying to unify color tables across pages.)

-- You are testing the limits of what's feasible with 256 colors. Each of your thumbnails has its own range of hues, and both the thumbnails and the text rely on gradients and glows over a reasonably large area (that is, more than just anti-aliasing along edges).

You might have better luck if you go back to your image editing application, and force all your images all to use the same 8-bit color palette. That might ease Encore's task, and it will give you an idea of what's feasible and what's not.

--
Regards,
Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]