About to fling myself from a high cliff building this DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kell Smith
About to fling myself from a high cliff building this DVD
on Mar 9, 2014 at 4:11:47 am
Last Edited By Kell Smith on Mar 9, 2014 at 1:22:12 pm

Yup, at the end of my rope.
Building an Encore DVD (first one) and running into several issues I have not been able to resolve.

1) The quality of my DVD is awful. The video jumps (not the DVD itself, just the video) and flickers, especially on areas of background fences, bare tree limbs, etc . The color is also washed out and has a cool color shift. This is happening when viewed on the TV, but it looks fine when viewed on my computer or viewed by computer connected to the TV.

2)Aspect ratio woes. I took an Encore menu template (originally for standard) and modified it in PHotoshop. When designed for standard, it stretches to on the TV Widescreen setting, making my bride look, well, substantial - not a way to make the bride happy!
Redesigned it for Widescreen (in Pshop, 720x480 and PAR Widescreen), it of course looks good on WS but squeezes the menu picture and the video on the "normal" TV setting (which I suppose is preferable to adding pounds to the bride).

3) My audio is awful and does not sound that way over headphones on my Macbook. By awful, I mean that a song used for a music bed has a stifled quality. I have yet to listen to the DVD over headphones on my Mac to see where the problem lies. Audio is AC3.

4) I framed too close, so there is a fair amount of cropping going on as well on the top and sides of the TV. My bad, I might have to put against a backdrop unless there is a workaround for that.

How do I make it display properly on the telly no matter what setting is used (widescreen, normal etc)?
And how can I improve the quality of the DVD?? The washed out color, etc.

>QT direct files, mpegs, and the iso file via HDMI out of the Macbook to the TV: look good (good meaning color, contrast, no flickering). Night and day difference. TV edges are extra sharp, but don't flicker.

>Macbook playing the DVD in the Superdrive, viewed on the TV screen via HDMI: No flickering, although it's worth mentioning that some of the footage needs to be deinterlaced - I can see lines when the photog's flash goes off and when my subject moves.

>DVD player to TV": washed out, color shift, flicker.

I don't want to write it off as my display being the problem, because it does not seem to have a problem across-the board. I"m wondering if there is a breakdown in the settings that allow it to play properly on a television. (Which is where they'll be watching it). I will deinterlace it, which may help some of the flickering, but what could be responsible for the washed-out shift?
I thought there might be a field ordering issue (sequences are upper), and was planning to re-export/encode with that, but the files seem fine until burned to DVD.

Ugg. I" cannot seem to dig out from underneath this project and it wastes day, after day, after day. I could never deliver a DVD with this quality.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Specs:
Source Footage: AVCHD, 1920x1080, 29.97
One ending sequence was 25fps, by mistake, but once I discovered that, I re-exported it at 29.97, and also did a test rebuild of part of it in a 29.97 sequence, but the mpegs are still lousy quality
All exported full QT Movie, then encoded to mpeg2 in Squeeze testing every setting for ntsc disc (720x480, 16x9, 29.97 generally)
Audio exported separately to AC3
Final Cut Express 4 ( I know, I've gotten other editing programs since then, but this is what I had to work with at the time)
Squeeze (non -pro version)
Encore CS6
Television: Vizio 32"

This project is not really graphic-intensive, except in the ending credits. It's flickering on basic, static shots (the trees move a bit and you can see the tree branches and fence posts flickering

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
Re: Qt files good, Mpeg exports good, dvd awful
on Mar 9, 2014 at 12:26:04 pm

Checking back...anybody out there have some thoughts on this?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: About to fling myself from a high cliff building this DVD
on Mar 9, 2014 at 2:53:03 pm

Not a Mac user, but Google "use compressor to make dvd" and first result has a lot of good tips

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Kell Smith
Re: About to fling myself from a high cliff building this DVD
on Mar 9, 2014 at 6:31:08 pm

Thanks, I'll check that out =)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]