FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice on exporting files from Premiere CS6 for DVD burning in Encore!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Hurley
Need advice on exporting files from Premiere CS6 for DVD burning in Encore!
on Mar 7, 2014 at 1:51:50 am

I would really appreciate some advice on what settings are best for exporting from Premiere CS6 to burn a DVD in Encore CS5. My video was shot in 1080p, and I've tried exporting from Premiere using the MPEG-DVD setting, and then the 1080p HD setting. The file is much larger and it takes a very long time when using the latter setting, so I figured it would look best, but my video is choppy when played back.

Export settings are not my expertise - and what I truly would be most thankful to know, is this: Based upon the video I'm working with (1080p HD video shot on a Canon T3i) which setting in Premiere would give me the absolute BEST quality for a DVD burned in Encore CS5?

This is a wedding I am just completing for someone, so I am wanting the absolute best quality I can possibly get. Thanks in advance for anyone out there who can advise me on this!!!!!
Lisa

Return to posts index

Gerry Condez
Re: Need advice on exporting files from Premiere CS6 for DVD burning in Encore!
on Mar 7, 2014 at 2:52:06 pm
Last Edited By Gerry Condez on Mar 7, 2014 at 2:57:39 pm

I just started doing my 1st project on Encore few days back and it came out great. Got a 2 hour wedding, though its complicated at first, these steps might help for a beginner like me.
From Premier Pro/File/Dynamic Link/Send to Encore
Once Encore opens you can change your video settings to DVD
Then it gets a bit complicated from here adding chapters and menu.
OR you can skip that part and continue below.
You can preview your work by clicking the Disc icon with play to preview.
then select BUILD, youll find all the settings there and if your project will fit the disc.
Also if you have chapters made, make sure to Check Project in case errors are found
In my experience, if there are errors found and you burn it, it wont play in some players
and will work on some players too. Better fix it first.
THEN hit BUILD to burn your DVD
I hope it works for you as well. If I missed something, youtube it.
BTW: my preview suck but once after burning disc it looks great.
Try burning one.
Cheers

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 7, 2014 at 2:58:04 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Pulera on Mar 7, 2014 at 3:00:25 pm

Hi Lisa,

When exporting any video source to put on DVD, the ONLY export option should be "MPEG-2 DVD". No other option will create a "DVD legal" file and Encore will simply have to transcode whatever you give it to MPEG-2 DVD anyway. You've now added another generation of compression (loss) and more time to the workflow.

Assuming you're in NTSC-land, you could use the preset "NTSC Progressive Widescreen". That would use be 30p (29.97), but there is also an option for 23.976 if you have a 24p source.

It's important that you use the best bitrate to match the length of the video. Too low of a bitrate and you're throwing away better quality (empty space on the DVD), too high and it's not "legal" for DVD spec and also may not fit the disc.

As a rule of thumb, 560/minutes=bitrate usually works pretty well, maybe round down the result slightly for menu overhead/safety margin, or there are plenty of "bitrate calculator" apps online, just search. For shorter videos, most users like to keep the maximum rate to 7 or 8. The spec allows a little higher, but some DVD players don't like high bitrates on burned media, better safe than sorry.

In the AME encoding window, there is a checkbox at the bottom for "Max Render Quality" and you can check that to increase the downscale quality (not needed when source and output dimensions are the same).

EDIT: NOT recommended to use "Dynamic Link". More headaches than it's worth usually. Many users say the AME encoding engine is different, and BETTER, than what is use din Encore, another reason. Create your own assets using AME and Import them into Encore.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Mar 7, 2014 at 5:09:20 pm

Thank you SO much Jeff! This is EXACTLY what I needed to know. I'll go back and re-render my files to the MPEG-DVD format, and check "maximum quality". And I'll also work on the bitrate to see what will work best.

Thank you SO much! I was definitely headed down the wrong track with this!

Lisa Hurley

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Mar 7, 2014 at 5:27:56 pm

Hi Lisa,

You're welcome. Also, regarding VBR or CBR for encoding, I generally stick with CBR for shorter videos (why not maximize quality consistently) and when getting above 90 minutes I might use VBR. Matter of personal preference, you'll get different suggestions from various users.

Good luck

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Rajiv Dixit
on Apr 17, 2015 at 10:33:57 am

Load entire project into Encoder> Encoder render out : mpeg2 dvd (gives m2v+ac3 files with xmps data)> Load m2v+ac3 file into Encore > Burn to DVD
The sequential screen grabs gives the basic process
8735_cs6dvdprocess.pdf.zip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]