FORUMS: list search recent posts

I've authored a Blu Ray for my clients and it works on my PS4 but they said it freezes on their sony BDP-S550. Any advice?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Kodner
I've authored a Blu Ray for my clients and it works on my PS4 but they said it freezes on their sony BDP-S550. Any advice?
on Feb 2, 2014 at 7:32:29 pm

I exported video from Premiere CC using Encoder. the codec was "MPG2 Blu Ray" (m2v and wav files). I took those files into Encore CS6, made an ISO and burned two Blu Ray discs. It plays flawlessly in my Playstation 3 (PS3).

I gave it to my client who has a Sony BDP-S550 Blu Ray player. They said they're having issues with my discs.

The initial menu has three options: Play Movie, Scene Selection and Extras. For Disc 1: they said whenever they click Scene Selection or Extras from the main menu, their disc freezes. They can click Play movie from the main menu, but halfway through the disc, they said it freezes. And they said disc 2 won't play either.

So I authored them two blu rays: 1) Timeline only, NO MENUS, looping, with chapter markers, Codec MPG 2 Blu Ray. And 2) Timeline only, NO MENUS, looping, with chapter markers, Codec H264 Blu Ray. My client says "when I try to skip a few chapters it freezes. We actually got lucky with the first disc, after some skipping we got up til reception where the bridal party came out then it froze on us again."

I'm trying to trouble shoot the issue here... Again, it works fine with my PS3. I want to believe its an issue with their blu ray player, but it sounds like they're able to watch some of the disc but not all of it, so is it an issue with their player? Should I try authoring the disc with MP4 files instead of M2V/Wav or M4V/Wav?

If you go to the manual for their blu ray player (see link below), I want to point out some things:
https://docs.sony.com/release/BDPS550_US.pdf

Page 63 says:

"Some BD-REs/BD-Rs, DVD+RWs/DVD+Rs, DVD-RWs/DVD-Rs, or CD-Rs/CD-RWs cannot be played on this player due to the recording quality or physical condition of the disc, or the characteristics of the recording device and authoring software."

"Note about 8 cm BD-REs/8 cm BD-Rs Some 8 cm BD-REs/8 cm BD-Rs cannot be played on this player."
"Note about BD-REs/BD-Rs This player supports Ver. 2.1 BD-RE and Ver. 1.1 and 1.2 BD-R including organic pigment type BD-R (LTH type)."

But some good news perhaps???:
"The MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 format is adopted to compress video data, and the Dolby Digital or Linear PCM system isusedtocompressaudiodata.TheMPEG-4AVC/ H.264 format is capable of compressing images at higher efficiency than that of the conventional image compressing format. The MPEG-4 AVC/ H.264 format enables a high definition (HD) video signal shot on a digital video camera recorder to be recorded on DVD discs, in the same way as it would be for a standard definition (SD) television signal."

Any advice?

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
Re: I've authored a Blu Ray for my clients and it works on my PS4 but they said it freezes on their sony BDP-S550. Any advice?
on Feb 3, 2014 at 3:30:49 pm

Hi Rachel,

In the early days of DVD burning, there was only limited compatibility with the current set-top players. Perhaps only 1 in 3 worked! Over the years, it got to a point where every new DVD player now works fine with DVD-R media (assuming quality media and proper authoring).

When Blu-ray burning came out, same thing, some players work, some don't. Sometimes, a firmware update can be applied to the Blu-ray player to resolve this. Another factor is the media, maybe try a different brand of disc.

Also, H.264 is superior to MPEG-2. Should not affect the player compatibility, but for quality, just use H.264 rather than MPEG-2.

What data rate are you using for the encoding? If pushing a high data rate, that could be an issue. Players are less forgiving of burned media than with pressed Hollywood discs, and high data rates can cause the player to choke.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
Re: I've authored a Blu Ray for my clients and it works on my PS4 but they said it freezes on their sony BDP-S550. Any advice?
on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:10:59 pm
Last Edited By Chris Borjis on Feb 3, 2014 at 6:18:08 pm

It sounds more like a media issue than anything. I know my panasonic bd player
would not play Phillips BD-r's until the 3rd firmware update was applied early last year.

TDK BD-R media has been the most reliable, playing on all 3 of my players
with profile 1, a profile 2 and ps3 with no compatibility issues from clients.

It's not at all bad to suggest they have the latest firmware.
Even now, most hollywood titles have a paper insert in the case
or a beginning screen about making sure your player is up to date
for optimal, error free playback.

Over the years after making lots of blu-rays I've found mpeg2 vs H.264, the only
real difference being that H.264 can be a smaller file size. H.264 is more efficient than mpeg2
but does take longer to encode. And encore can some times have issues with it.

I usually go with Dolby AC3 at 448kbps and Mpeg2 at 25 mbps average and 30 mbps maximum.

Never had any compression artifact issues at that setting.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Feb 16, 2014 at 5:44:24 pm

Rachel... I have that Exact same SONY Player at home! I have been successfully making BluRay's since CS5 or before (I forgot when I started doing BR).

Two things to check... and they are both firmware!

Make certain your Recorder has the latest firmware (You have control over this!)

Second.. Make Certain the Player has firmware to support the media you have given them!

I can Guarantee you that I do not have any issues from BR on my Sony BDP-S550!

I haven't done a firmware update in over a year, but even then I didn't have an issue.

I just checked... Our BDP-S550 has V7.4.024 in it.

Have them check in the menu. It may just need a firmware update

Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Return to posts index

Rachel Kodner
on Feb 16, 2014 at 6:27:39 pm

"Make certain your Recorder has the latest firmware"... When you say recorder, what are you referring to? Because I'm not recording anything. are you referring to the Blu Ray BURNER?

What software are using to burn the Blu Rays? Are you using Encore CS6?

I asked my client to do a firmware update. They said "So update done. Disc 2 seems to work, the wedding website option froze. But it seems to be playing fine now. Same issue with the other discs though."

So it sounds lil they're still having problems after the update, which I can't understand, because I take the disc and try it in my PS3 and it works flawlessly. But client puts it in their player and it supposedly freezes at times. I wonder if their playing is getting old and slowly starting to break?

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Feb 17, 2014 at 12:43:16 am
Last Edited By Jan Janowski on Feb 17, 2014 at 1:17:39 am

Yes, your burner has firmware too! It is less apt to be a burner than a player issue, but, I'd check there, too. I, personally have not had a disc play issue in my Sony S550 on multiple types of BR media created with Encore.

Return to posts index

Rachel Kodner
on Apr 6, 2014 at 5:48:20 pm

When you go to export your sequence in Premiere, (in order to export for a blu ray), which FORMAT do you choose in the Export window?

-H.264 Blu Ray?
-MPEG2 Blu Ray?
-H.264 ?

And what bit rate are you using?

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Apr 27, 2014 at 3:01:09 pm

Sorry for late reply.... BluRay H264 has always worked on the Sony BluRay model in this post, or newer one....

I can further state that I've used 40Mb/sec Sequence settings as well... NO PROBLEMS...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]