FORUMS: list search recent posts

No sound on DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Noelle Bye
No sound on DVD
on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:17:33 am
Last Edited By Noelle Bye on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:20:09 am

Really hoping someone can help me with this issue...I wasn't sure where to post this question. I am trying to create a DVD for a 2-hour-plus show, and I keep coming up with a 5.25 GB DVD. So I have been creating the disk image in Encore and then trying to compress that down to a reasonable disc size with Toast 11. The menu's video plays fine, but when I play the show itself, there is no sound. Please let me know what additional info I can provide to help you help me solve this problem. I'm using Verbatim DVDs. I am on deadline and desperate. Plus, I really need these on single-layer DVDs...thanks in advance...

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: No sound on DVD
on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:51:07 am

Compress (encode) before authoring, not after. Use AME or another encoder to encode MPEG-2 and Dolby .ac3 audio that will fit on the DVD. Then author, build and burn your DVD.

The biggest mistake that non-professional DVD authors make is to skip the encoding process, allowing the authoring software to encode the assets. That almost guarantees a mediocre encode using whatever default parameters have been set in the authoring app.

One possible cause of your missing sound might be the use of MPEG audio on an NTSC DVD. Many NTSC DVD players will not play MPEG audio.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Noelle Bye
on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:03:57 am

I encoded the parameters using Adobe Premiere before importing into Encore.

Return to posts index

Noelle Bye
on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:15:53 am

Hmmm...my audio was encoded as ac3...

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jan 16, 2014 at 1:27:12 pm

I would suggest using a bit-rate calculator to determine what bit-rate the video must be encoded to fit onto a single layer DVD, then manually set that bit-rate in something like AME - (note that using variable bit-rate-VBR is not an exact science like Constant bit-rate-CBR). - use of AC3 will allow the video to be encoded at a higher bit-rate.

I made a bit-rate calculator in Excel Spreadsheet using mathematical equations from the old Maestro days that has never failed me and includes calculations for DVD Rom assets, but it is simple and is setup for CBR encoding. Also I have found that my AC3 audio inside of Encore must be kept at default 192mbps in order to play - for some reason (on my setup) when I try to increase the bit-rate above 192 I lose audio on playback.

Ricky

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jan 16, 2014 at 2:52:15 pm

560/minutes=bitrate

This assumes the default Dolby AC3 settings used in Encore. If AME creates .wav audio, that is fine, Encore will transcode to Dolby automatically.

Do you hear audio IN Encore when putting the DVD together?

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Noelle Bye
on Jan 16, 2014 at 3:10:22 pm

Yep, and I hear it after I've burnt the disk image when I play it in DVD player. So I guess that it's a Toast issue?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]