FORUMS: list search recent posts

I could really need some assistance with my Blu-ray workflow (5.1 woes, among other things)

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Per Arne Sandvik
I could really need some assistance with my Blu-ray workflow (5.1 woes, among other things)
on Dec 20, 2013 at 10:20:31 pm

Hi. I make home videos and I really want to produce disks with as high a standard as I possibly can. This is the story of my family, and I don't want to cut corners.

Here's the problem.

I film in 5.1. This doesn't make much of a difference (the camera mic is what it is), but I also put quite a bit of work in to incorporate 5.1 music and other elements to make the audio more immersive. Preserving the 5.1 throughtout the process without buying a licence (I'm not a professional and can't justify the cost) proves a challenge:

• I don't have the machine power to avoid exporting BR video in ≈30 minute segments (2 hours of video would take a weekend to export at the quality I want).
  • I need to use a workaround in Apple Compressor to create a 5.1 file that won't automatically be reencoded to 2.0 in Encore.
  • If I import the 30 minute segments into Encore, I can't put them all in one timeline, as that will result in the 5.1 tracks being reencoded to 2.0.
  • If I create several timelines in Encore and combine them using playlists, it does a number on the disk navigation (rewinding, making chapter menus).

I just really, really want to get this to work. Any ideas? I know muxing the video and audio seems like the most obvious solution, but I have yet to find software that will do this to BR video on a Mac.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: I could really need some assistance with my Blu-ray workflow (5.1 woes, among other things)
on Dec 21, 2013 at 10:57:34 pm

Per,
first of all - a compressor-encoded 5.1-AC3-file wont be transcoded to 2.0 stereo, uncompressed Wwav or aif will be.

best/most easy way for encoding for blu-ray would be apple compressor or adobe media encoder.

authoring-apps expecting allready transcoded assets, so it´s up to you to do so. if not -> transcodes again.

by the way, you should carefully look at the project-settings and the transcoding-settings at the beginning of your job.

transcoding a HD-video to blu-ray isn´t a real big deal.....

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Per Arne Sandvik
Re: I could really need some assistance with my Blu-ray workflow (5.1 woes, among other things)
on Dec 22, 2013 at 9:46:17 pm

Hi, Daniel, thank you for your response.

Yes, Encore won't transcode a 5.1 AC3, unless several consequtive audio/video clips share the same timeline. If this is the case, Encore will build a new audio stream in 2.0. My computer simply doesn't have the muscle to export full projects in one go, so I have to chop them up and reassemble them in Encore (plus, Encore loses its mind if I try to import large files).

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Dec 22, 2013 at 10:02:49 pm

Arne,
if you are working on a mac computer it WILL have the power to export the full timeline into ONE single file.

all you need is a big(ger) hard-disc, and a bit of time....

authoring-apps are NO editing-softwares and it´s a very bad idea to bring more parts into encores timeline.

your workflow should be:

1. edit in FCP + export to selfcontained MOV (apple pro res)
2. encode your video + audio to H264 + AC3
3. author the BD with encore using these two files.

happy x-mas

danny

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]