FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video footage to big for 4,7 GB DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Nyugen
Video footage to big for 4,7 GB DVD
on Nov 11, 2013 at 6:14:27 pm

Dear creativecow community,

I'm trying to make a wedding DVD with 10 clips of avi files (114GB in total). I have a 4,7 GB to put it on... how could I make the avi files smaller and still have a decent quality?
I have made an intro and menu on encore cs6.

Thanks in advance!

R

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
Re: Video footage to big for 4,7 GB DVD
on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:07:02 pm

The size of AVI files is meaningless; they could contain DV, divx, or uncompressed.

You transcode the AVI's into MPEG2-DVD (Encore will do it for you). Anything over an hour will lose quality; over 2 hours significant quality. Many factors....

What is the total minutes you are planning to put on?

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Ray Nyugen
on Nov 11, 2013 at 7:57:20 pm

Thank you for your reply Mr.Jones

The avi files were transfered from an old video camera.
Actually, I want to have the all the recordings in one DVD ... (9 hours)
Is that possible?

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Nov 11, 2013 at 8:24:41 pm

540 minutes on one single layer DVD requires a bitrate average below 1MB. Encore (the Adobe MPEG2-DVD options) will not go below 1.5. I think it would look pretty terrible, and that's assuming that it looks pretty to start - transfers don't always.

You can go to a dual layer disk, but what is the point. This is a multi-DVD project.

As an experiment, I suggest that you put one file (if they vary in length, something no more than 45 minutes) into Encore, and set it to "automatic" as the transcode setting. It will probably do that by default.

Make a disk. See how the quality looks.

Now put 2 hours worth.

I would build these to folder or image and burn separately.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Ray Nyugen
on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:06:11 pm

Sorry for the late reply, have been busy with school.

Experiment:

47:13min video, AVI, 9,83GB -> Added to timeline and 'automatic'transcode setting -> 47:13min video, H264, build: 2,89GB/4,7GB.

It kind of worked but it is still to big, it looks like I need 4-5 more discs?

I tried another transcode settings:

Outcome is 1,53GB/4,7GB. But I have no idea if these transcode settings give good, decent quality.

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:22:14 pm

[Ray Nyugen] "Added to timeline and 'automatic'transcode setting -> 47:13min video, H264,"

You said DVD, so you must transcode to MPEG2-DVD, not H.264. In the image you show (I realize it is a later experiment), you should see "automatic" in the top ("DVD Transcoding") section. Have nothing else on the disk, other than a non-motion menu. Encore is going to try to fill the disk with as high a quality as it can. In your project settings, for DVD, make sure the max setting is at least 8.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Ray Nyugen
on Nov 14, 2013 at 9:22:42 pm

You mean these settings?
So I can conclude it is not possible to comprimise the 114GB of avi files to 1 DVD, 4,7 GB? So have to use Dual layer DVDs or couple more DVDs?

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Nov 14, 2013 at 10:02:20 pm

Sorry; I did not explain myself well in my post that began "540 minutes...."

Yes, I see no way the quality will be good enough for you to do a one disk project, or a single dual layer. And Encore has frequent issues with layer breaks, so, unless you can get to your one disk by going to a single dual layer, I did not think multiple dual layers was the answer.

My point about an automatic setting was to test what the max quality is that you can get out of your transfers. How did the automatic transcode look? If it looks good to you, then fine; proceed and look at the effect on quality of high compression. If it does not look good, then either a) high compression may not be much worse and/or b) it will illustrate the quality price of using fewer disks with lower quality. Ultimately, you are the judge.

Assuming the automatic transcode test has good quality, go ahead and jump to the lowest Encore will do. See your transcode to CBR 1.5. That transcoded file size is the smallest Encore will produce.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Ray Nyugen
on Nov 15, 2013 at 10:02:45 am

Hhhmmm, I guess, 9,38GB is the smallest size I can get but I have no idea how the quality is. I will try to render it tonight.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]