FORUMS: list search recent posts

DVD+R DL burns but doesn't play in DVD/Blu-ray players

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Kumorek
DVD+R DL burns but doesn't play in DVD/Blu-ray players
on Oct 16, 2013 at 9:07:46 pm

I'm having a problem with an authoring project, and as most of the posts on the specific topic are almost a decade old and not helpful, thought I'd try a new post.

I've authored a dual-layer DVD in Adobe Encore CS6. I build the project into an ISO image successfully, and burn it to a Verbatim DVD+R DL disc at 2.4x speed using Nero with verification turned on. The burn and verification is successful.

When I insert the disc into my Blu-ray player or my DVD player, it spins for a while, and then gives up and says there's no disc. However, if I put the disc in a computer and bring up VLC Media Player, VLC can access and play it just fine.

I've successfully burned simple (timeline only) DVD+R DL projects and never had a problem playing them.

Any suggestions on what to look at?

Thanks for any assistance!

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
Re: DVD+R DL burns but doesn't play in DVD/Blu-ray players
on Oct 17, 2013 at 9:23:31 am

When I create a DDP output file set from the project, layer 1 is 3.52 GB; Layer 2 is 3.51 GB. I've read that according to the DVD specification, "the lower layer (Layer 0) needs to be as close to 4.1 GB as possible". Not sure how close "as close as possible" is, but I don't see any way in Encore to adjust what gets written to the first layer, other than the limited ability to set a layer break point.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Oct 18, 2013 at 10:02:37 am

james,
according to DVD-spec, the layer 0 only needs to be bigger than layer 1 - it should not be as near as 4.1GB, this doesn´t matter.

AND: you can´t prepare the layout of the disc within encore. that´s only possible with DVD Studio pro or other applications.

danny

Return to posts index

James Kumorek
on Oct 18, 2013 at 5:51:09 pm

Thanks for your input, Danny!

I discovered what the issue was last night. I was burning the DVD+R DL media with my Blu-ray burner, which burned correctly and verified successfully. However, the DL media wasn't being recognized by the players. When I burned the exact same ISO image with a DVD burner instead of a Blu-ray burner, it worked perfectly.

Return to posts index

Jan Janowski
on Oct 31, 2013 at 11:24:20 am

I encountered something like that once years ago...

Ended up being a firmware upgrade that was needed in the player....

Jan

Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]