Random Frame in Transcode???
OK, this one is just odd to me, and defies explanation. In Encore CS6, I created a timeline with a 28:30 length file, as I have several times before. Built it, chaptered it, and burned to DVD. Upon playback, I happened to notice a single frame of video hit in the middle of graphic, this frame was from a completely different point in the video, from about 20 seconds earlier. Obviously this not supposed to be the case.
I went back to the Project, and noticed it was this was in the transcode playback via the preview as well. I had it "Revert to Original", and re-transcoded it. Same thing happened. I changed the settings of the transcode, re-encoded it, same thing happened. I went back to the original QT file, and played it back in QT7 and Quicktime X, and found no such frame on playback, even playing it frame by frame. I also went back to Avid and looked at the edit itself to see if this was a rogue frame in the edit. Not there either.
I restarted the machine, re-opened the project, and completely deleted the original MOV file from the project, re-imported the file, and played it back before transcode through Encore and no rogue frame this time. I transcoded it again. The rogue frame appeared, in the same spot. I can understand an error in transcode, this is why I switched from DVDSP to Encore, as transcodes in DVDSP would just restart encodes in the middle of the 28:30 from the beginning, for no good reason, too. You could re-encode it in DVDSP, and that would fix it. Here it's recreating the same issue on all attempts.
What on earth is this about? This is Encore version 6.01.013 running on OS X 10.8.4 on a Mid-2012 Mac Pro running 2 X 3.06 6 Core Intel Xeon's with an NVIDIA Quadro 4000 2048 Graphics card. I am going to attempt this same issue on my Retina Macbook Pro to see if I can re-create the same thing there.
Anyone else had this issue?
I encountered something similar to that a few years ago....
About 40 seconds from the scene that contained that video, one frame of that video popped up in an altogether different scene... Just one frame.
I finally re-edited the piece putting the scenes in a different order and it re-appeared....in a new spot.
I re-captured the footage again and it did it again....
I then Re-captured the footage a 3rd time, and this time I patched the output of VTR (which had a TBC) into a frame sync. THAT WORKED...
So, based on the fact that a Frame Sync hid the issue, I then stepped through the video on the capture that caused the errant frame issue, and there was a very subtle shift in the video at that point... which I surmised as some sort of timebase error. Further tests with this capture that would glitch proved it was something related to that shift, as, I could hide it by putting a background color wipe (it was a silhouette scene) over the left side of the video, a couple frames before the shift, ending a couple frames after. This also masked the problem with the scene.
I've only seen this twice. (The VTR is now long dead).
Try and find the frame in the clip, and look for a subtle horizontal shift.
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle
Thanks! I am re-exporting a new file from Avid for this, and trying that. I had been creating the DVD cuts from the master using QT7. Gonna see if that makes a difference.