FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-ray file sizes unnecessarily small

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chris walker
Blu-ray file sizes unnecessarily small
on Aug 7, 2013 at 7:43:56 pm

When I author a blu-ray, I notice that the file is consistently much smaller than the blu-ray disc is capable of holding. The quality seems fine, but it seems like it's a waste of the disc when an hour-long project only uses, say, 4 GB of the 23+ GB capacity, and wouldn't the quality of a larger file be better? Is this the way it's supposed to be? If not, and if a larger file would look better, how do I change the transcoding settings and what do I change them to? Right now I believe I have transcoding set on automatic.
Also, if I do get a transcoded file that is 4 GB or smaller, could I burn this on to a regular dvd and play it on a blu-ray player in hd?
These videos are all shot in 1080i, AVCHD, on a panasonic gh2. Even a two-hour project comes in at well under 8 GB.

Return to posts index

Roel Bus
Re: Blu-ray file sizes unnecessarily small
on Aug 8, 2013 at 2:21:35 pm

I have run into this when I create both DVDs and blurays. You have to make sure that the project is set to Bluray, so that your timeline is the right format when you create it. Otherwise it will create the right files into a 720 x 480 timeline. So look at the timeline settings as well as your encoding settings

Return to posts index

chris walker
Re: Blu-ray file sizes unnecessarily small
on Aug 8, 2013 at 9:47:38 pm

No, it's definitely 1080 in the timeline. I'm thinking I have to do a custom encode rather than automatic if I want a larger file.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]