FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD footage to SD DVD

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sabrina Xaviar
HD footage to SD DVD
on Jul 20, 2013 at 5:40:51 pm

Ok. So I have 2 hours of HD upper field 1920x1080 video. Its a dance recital and the client wants SD DVD's. (I tried for blu ray but they wouldn't budge). I know SD footage isn't going to look as sharp but for some reason I think it doesn't look as good as it could. I ve been using encores default settings (automatic based on source (upper) 29.95. Any suggestions? SD DVD's should be Upper field first right?

sxaviar

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
Re: HD footage to SD DVD
on Jul 21, 2013 at 8:18:13 pm

Hi
I have found in my encore cs 5.5 that the automatic settings are lower field first and can't be changed.
How I do it is create DVD compliant files outside encore in Sorensen squeeze and import those, then select don't transcode. Squeeze also makes me an ac3 file for the audio.

I'd think a DVD from a timeline that long could look poor. Have you thought about making a dual layer DVD.
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 22, 2013 at 1:58:56 pm

Hi Sabrina,

I'm currently working on 6 dance recitals that run about 2 hours 20 minutes each. I'm getting fantastic results on 4.7GB DVDs by not using Adobe encoding. I use Encore for the authoring, but another process to downscale and encode to MPEG-2 material. See links below -

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2009/07/hd-to-sd-dvd-best-methods/

http://www.precomposed.com/blog/2010/10/hd-to-sd-dvd-cs5-revisited/

I don't exactly follow the procedures outlined. You are welcome to PM me for more detailed info. Note that this method requires you to download and install several pieces of free software. You'll also want a fast computer (Core i7) and lots of hard drives space.

This workflow is not for everyone, but if you put a little time and effort into the process, you may find it very rewarding.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Return to posts index

Sabrina Xaviar
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:19:34 pm

Thanks Jeff,I tried working on it last night and got confused pretty quickly:( I got to opening the .avs file in virtual dub. What .avs file are they talking about? I couldn't save the text file as a .avs.

sxaviar

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:23:41 pm

Hi Sabrina,

In Notepad, when you choose SAVE AS, look at the bottom of the window and the file type is .txt - click the drop down at right and change to "All files". Then just add .avs to your filename before saving, so it would be "filename.avs". This .avs file must be in the same folder as the video clip it references.

But the important part is what is IN the text file. Send me a private message and I can get you some sample scripts to work with, then you only need change the name of your video clip in the script.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Sabrina Xaviar
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:35:58 pm

ok. How do you private someone in this forum? LOL

sxaviar

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 23, 2013 at 7:40:54 pm

I must apologize, it looks like PM is not available on this forum, thought it was, sorry! I can be reached at jeffp at sharbor dot com

Thanks

Jeff

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Jeff Goin
on Aug 16, 2013 at 2:33:59 pm

I just discovered this by accident and would welcome verification by someone else trying it on their machine.

I'm working with HDV footage and animations at high def (various resolutions that are all above DVD's 720 x 480).

Getting quality DVD has been a pain. While playing around with settings I discovered something quite by accident. If you do a preview render (Enter key) *THEN* output to MPEG2 using Premier's Media Encoder, it looks noticeably better. Makes no sense but the difference is surprising.

Jeff G.
"If there's air there, it should be flown in" - FootFlyer.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]