FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will this strategy for encoding a feature-length BluRay work?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mel Matsuoka
Will this strategy for encoding a feature-length BluRay work?
on Jul 5, 2013 at 1:51:58 am

I haven't really done any BluRay authoring before, and I need to encode a playable BD-R for a theatrical screening of a feature-length film (90 minute TRT).

Because we're still making tweaks to the film (color, titles and FX...the edit itself is locked, though), I'd like to export the film into 24 separate self-contained ProRes master files, so I can pre-encode each section for the BluRay disc, and if any further tweaks to the film occur, all I have to do is re-export & transcode the section that was tweaked.

My strategy is to bring all the ProRes "chunks" into Encore, drag them all into a single Timeline, and force a Transcode of each asset within Encore, before writing out a BD discimage for burning with Disk Utility (I'm on Mac OS X). If a section gets tweaked, I'll just re-export that section out of Premiere, overwriting the existing ProRes chunk for that section, then re-open Encore and re-transcode just that asset.

My concern is that this single timeline will skip or hiccup at the points where the playback switches to each new section. It seems to play seamlessly from within Encore's Preview function, but when I played a test discimage using the "Mac Blu-Ray Player" software from MacGo, it appears to play back the timeline as if each section was a separate title, and it pauses for a moment at the beginning of each section before continuing to play.

I've learned to not trust software DVD playback software, so I'm not totally sure if the behavior of the MacGo software is representative of how a real standalone, "set-top" BluRay player will behave. Will most BluRay decks play back this multi-sectioned timeline seamlessly, or am I doomed to have to encode my entire 90 minute film as a single, selfcontained file in order to ensure seamless playback in the theatre?

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Will this strategy for encoding a feature-length BluRay work?
on Jul 5, 2013 at 12:48:34 pm

Mel,
my very good advice is: dont do this!

encore is definitly no editing-software and every!! authoring-application is expecting encoded assets. some (like encore + dvd studio) can handle unencoded assets, but that´s not the usual way.

you workflow might be as follow:

1. export your complete film out of FCP as selfcontained movie.
2. encode it using compressor or adobe media encoder
3. then start authoring your BD with the previously encoded assets.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Mel Matsuoka
on Jul 5, 2013 at 12:59:10 pm

Well my question was more about the safety of stringing together seperate--but seamlessly sectioned--assets in a single timeline. I'm fine with pre encoding the assets outside of Encore, if I need to do that.

I'm more concerned that the timeline will stutter at the beginning of each asset if I do it this way, regardless of whether the assets are pre-encoded or not.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jul 5, 2013 at 5:26:15 pm

Danny's advice is solid, don't do it!!

I'm not sure what you are hoping to gain - probably thinking to save some time when making the final Blu-ray? It shouldn't take more than a few hours to encode the whole 90 minutes to Blu-ray once edits are completed. Just make your changes in Premiere, then use Media Encoder to create ONE H.264 for Blu-ray clip. Save yourself headaches.

Optionally, export from timeline to ProRes chunks, but rather than reassembling the parts in Encore, put them in a new sequence in Premiere. If you have a lot of render-heavy effects in Premiere, that work will already be done then on the parts and when the final edit is locked, then export those parts as one H.264 file for use in Encore.

Thanks

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jul 5, 2013 at 6:09:48 pm

Yes....don't do this

That's why we use editing software. ;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]