FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please aid me with a couple of questions.!

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Groom
Please aid me with a couple of questions.!
on Jun 30, 2013 at 8:54:02 am

I have 2 questions so Ill keep them separate.

1) Using Encore to make Blu Ray and DVD, i use M2v blu ray compliant file from Sorenson squeeze, and import this to Encore. The file is 22 gig. What I need to know is where in Encore do i look to find out how big i can make this file in squeeze. ie the combined size of everything minus the audio and video file.
Seems that having spent hours making the BD M2v file encore says it wont fit ons a 25 gig disc, by 40mb!!! This is infuritaing so i need to know where to gather hte info from to correctly set sor sq.
I always use the "dont transcode" setting as i have already invested the time in making sor sq do this.

2) If i want to make Blu Ray and DVD discs from the same project. Currently i make a DVD file in sor sq and a BD file in sor sq, and then make 2 encore projects. This is because i find that the DVD one needs a de interlace filter to lessen frame jerkiness on movement.
Do i really need to do this. If I ask encore to transcode the bd file down to DVD size, will it do as good a job as sor squeeze picture quality wise?

I hope you can help.

Cheers
Peter

Post Production Dubbing Mixer

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Please aid me with a couple of questions.!
on Jun 30, 2013 at 7:43:04 pm

peter,
first of all I would advice to use H264 instead of MPEG2 for BD. better quality while data-size is a lot smaller.

H264 is a lot more modern codec than MPEG2 and you can get the same result while using lower bitrates.

to calculate the right file-sizes you need to create a bitbudgeting.

there are web-tools to do so or apps for iphone.

when you´ve got interlaced-issues you need to rethink your workflow and tell more details.

there are far to much issues, that could cause that problems! so what´s your footage? 1080i50, 1080i29.98, 1080p24, 1080p25 or 1080p23.98 - or maybe simple SD NTSC or PAL!?

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jun 30, 2013 at 8:48:25 pm

Hi Danny- thanks for responding
I'll give h264 a go , thanks! What nitrate would you suggest as a good start off to keep high picture quality on a blu ray. My videos are normally @ 1.5 hours long.

to calculate the right file-sizes you need to create a bitbudgeting.

there are web-tools to do so or apps for iphone.
I'll look into that!

when you´ve got interlaced-issues you need to rethink your workflow and tell more details.
Indeed. Largely now not a problem since I moved away from HDTV but I do struggle to get what I feel is totally
Smooth motion. I think I'm very fussy.

My media is shot 1920x1080i 25fps pal. I make an upper files 1st m2v in sore son sq. it's the data rate in squeeze I could do with a guide on!
Thanks
Peter

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 1, 2013 at 7:35:10 am

Peter,
first of all you need to be awared that your encore-trascoding- aud project-setting needs to fit with your source-material.

so it´s no good idea to have a H264-project@24fps and your assets are M2V 25fps. in that case encore will re-transcode your assetes to H264 and the dedicated framerate.

of course every rule has it´s exception - that are encore-menus. menus allways will be transcoded to 23.98 MPEG2, even if you have a H264-project, so the best way to go is to use straight MOV for motion menus.

if you are using squeeze make sure that the encoder-settings fit BD-specs otherwise the resulting MPEG/H264-files will be transcoded again as for the same reason as the menus will be transcoded as well.

accoring to target-bitrate: for a 90min-feature-film your target-bitrate it could have 25Mbit and peak-rate at approx 30Mbit.

but mainly your bitrate is depending on the numbers of your audio-tracks, too. PCM audio has 1.5MBit/s while dolby digital only has 640kb/s max.

BD-spec allows 40MBit/s for video and 48MBit/s for the entire TS-stream.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 1, 2013 at 8:14:08 am

Hi again. Thanks for your comprehensive reply. Its much appreciated.

I dont think I have any frame rate mis matches between my source footage and encore. Everything in my world is 25fps - but i will check all the assets and settings!

The asset coming from sor sq "should: be bd compliant, as i use the Blu ray authoring encoder settings within sor sq.
Sor sq creates me an ac3 file that i import into encore. Seems to work ok.

Do you feel that creating a bD compliant h264 m2v (as you suggest) asset in sorenson, making blu ray encore project, then a BD ISO, AND then using that same project to create a DVD iso allowing encore to crunch it down to DVD 4.7 gig disc size is a good idea? AND would you recomment using AUTOMATIC to allow encore to cruch the numbers to the optimum value?

Would you typically want the m2v file to be created using a de interlace filter (as sor sq has one appied as standard in its preste) alough it can be removed.

Cheresa again

Peter

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jul 1, 2013 at 8:26:49 am

Peter,
to create a BD and a DVD should be done in different projects and differently encoded assets.

I would never use a H264-file as source for SD-DVD, as it´s highly compressed material. for your SD-DVD you should do a 2nd encoding using a SD-MPEG2-setting.

best result will be if you will scale-down your HD-video prior encoding.

accoding to your default-sqeeze-setting: it makes NO sence to deinterlace MPEG2-video if it is interlaced source, as you´ll loose motion-sharpness on the video. you should allways encode interlaced video interlaced with same field-dominance as the source.

in your case if your source is HD it should be upper field first. PAL mostly is upper first, only all DV-videos (DV, DVCAM, DVC-PRO) use lower first.

better keep that in mind.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Peter Groom
on Jul 1, 2013 at 1:01:43 pm

many thanks
Ill go and do some testing.
Cheers
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]