FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burning a DVD from blu-ray image 24fps and other problems

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kari Pieskä
Burning a DVD from blu-ray image 24fps and other problems
on Jun 5, 2013 at 8:57:05 am

I made 8 min. animation with 24 fps and made sounds with audition.

Then I burned a blu-ray with encore. It only had 25 fps to choose, so i chose that. And it worked when played. But I think that the blu-ray player recognized 24 fps.

Is blu-ray 24 fps ok with all the BR players?

Also another, bigger problem. I have to burn preview copies for DVD's, and I found out that PAL dvd's only take in 25 fps. Is this correct?

Do I have to make another project and fiddle all the files so that everything is 25 fps? (render a tiff sequence from TVpaint with 25 fps, and lengthen the soundfile in premiere with 4%) Or is it possible to burn a PAL DVD from the blu-ray image I already have?

What about the possibility to burn a NTSC DVD with 23.98 fps? That should be accurate enough, but does it work all over the world? My main festivals are going to be in Europe, so I think I prefer PAL.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Burning a DVD from blu-ray image 24fps and other problems
on Jun 7, 2013 at 6:31:25 am

Kari,
all PAL-DVD-players could play NTSC-DVDs, so 23.98 would not be a problem, but you need to set your video as 23.98 not 24fps.

be awared that PAL has 720x576 and NTSC has 720x480px, that´s a bit less.

be awared that SD DVDs feel like eye-cancer if you only have seen the high res-files.

so you need to set your premiere-output (and/or the tiff-sequenz) to 23.98 to have a propper SD NTSC-DVD-workflow.

don´t sent your premiere-sequenz directly to encore, just export it to your harddrive as selfcontained movie (AVID DNX HD AVI or quicktime PRO RES, depending if you are on mac or pc) and encode it to NTSC-MPEG2 using adobe media encoder and a self-created preset with 23.98.

media encoder will create a 29.98-file out of it with the necessary pulldown, as DVD could only be 25 or 29.98, depending on your TV-system (PAL or NTSC).

use this file for authoring and set your DVD-project to NTSC.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Kari Pieskä
on Jun 12, 2013 at 4:04:24 pm

Ok, thanks for making that clearer.
You said that use media encoder to make a 23.98 ntsc. Is there a reason i should first import it to apple pro rez, instead of using media encoder via premiere?

Also you adviced to use 23.98 setting on encoder, but then said that when encoding, it will make a 29.98 ntsc version. Was that a typo? Or is it just that ntsc dvd can not be anything else than 29.98 And encoder is doing the work for me?

Thanks for your time, you've been very helpful!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jun 12, 2013 at 4:14:46 pm

Kari,
you could also export directly from premiere into media encoder of course, but if you have a seperate master-file you don´t need to have premiere open to do different encodings afterwards.

and yes - NTSC DVD could only carry 29.98. if your source is 23.98 it will be transfered to 29.98 NDF - meaning there will be added a 3:2-pullup, so 23.98 will fit on 29.98 at the same duration, that´s the trick.

but this is only working with 23.98 and not with straight 24p.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Kari Pieskä
on Jun 12, 2013 at 4:21:24 pm

I think I'm getting the hang of this business. Thanks a lot for the confirmation!

Return to posts index

Ricky Barrow
on Jul 13, 2017 at 11:35:23 am

Daniel,
Can you check my profile and email me offline, please?

Ricky

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]