FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore CS6 Internal Error on PP MPGs created via Media Encoder

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Phil Lochner
Encore CS6 Internal Error on PP MPGs created via Media Encoder
on Jun 5, 2013 at 2:25:10 am

I've been running into a frustrating problem with CS6 PP and CS6 Encore:

If I export a single MPG from PPro, I can import it into Encore, add chapters, and Build the DVD properly.

If I export the exact same file, same MPG settings, except using Adobe Media Encoder (ie hit Queue instead of Export in Premiere), I load it into Encore, add chapters exactly as above, but then when brought into Encore, it won't Build. It errors out with:

PGC "Untitled Timeline" has an error at
internal software error: %0, line Untitled Timeline - PGC Info: name = Untitled
Timeline, ref = Dpgc, time =

...during the very end of "planning video for movie" status bar.

If I arbitrarily move the end of the clip in Encore to cut out the last minute or last hour, it errors out again except the Timecode reference above is set to the new end of the file.

If I zoom way into the very end of the Encore clip, I can clearly see that the Audio track is missing a tiny smidgen of information, ie it doesn't line up with the video clip above it. If I try to move this smidgen to the right to force it to line up, it won't move any further (and annoyingly, when I let go of the mouse button, it jumps me back to the beginning of the timeline.. making me have to delicately scroll back to the end frame again).

Again, from PP CS6, it's the exact same source video. The one that I Export (ie, one file at a time) works fine in Encore. Same source video, same MPG settings, but I queue it up, and the resulting files don't work. Aggravating as I can't create a big old playlist of MPG conversions and let it run overnight, because the resulting file is no good to Encore.

Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
Re: Encore CS6 Internal Error on PP MPGs created via Media Encoder
on Jun 5, 2013 at 3:57:17 am

I assume you are using the MPEG2-DVD presets for the export either way? What are the specific settings?

Use Mediainfo or gspot or similar to compare the resulting files. Post your results.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Phil Lochner
on Jun 5, 2013 at 4:21:50 am

Note that in my previous post, the error got cut out due to this forum's formatting. The "time=" part showed timecode that was the very last frame of the Encore video clip. If I move the clip around or make it shorter in Encore, next time I build, this "time=" part is the new final frame. Basically the "time=" part references whatever the last frame is in the video.

My MPG2-DVD settings in PP are:

NTSC, 720x480, Quality 5, De-interlaced, CBR 6, PCM 48k 16bit Stereo, Render at Max Depth, GOP M 3 N 15, Use MRQ, multiplex to DVD.

These settings are saved as a Custom pre-set and I bring them up every time I make a DVD (this particular project, I am converting many VHS tapes to DVD).

Using this preset and hitting Export and waiting for Premiere to render it creates a usuable MPG for Encore. Using this preset on the exact same Export, but and hitting Queue and waiting for Media Encoder to render it creates an unusable MPG that errors out during DVD Build as per my original message.

Note that in VLC the "bad" MPGs play fine, synch is fine, etc. I can re-import these "bad" MPGs back into PP without error as well.

Other things to consider: I have only used the Queue feature as described the past weekend, when I queued up 3 different PPro sequences, all from the same file. Queued them all up in Media Encoder, and I want to think that the FIRST sequence created a MPG that Encore had no problems with. The 2nd and 3rd sequences in the Queue definitely created unusable MPGs. I will have to re-test this to be sure however. Previous to this weekend I was rendering them out one at a time using Export.

I will have to re-render all 3 clips using both Queue and Export individually to run those apps and dig into the files themselves. However if you see any red flags with the stuff I just described as doing, definitely let me know as it will take many hours to twice re-render all 3 sequences.

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Jun 5, 2013 at 6:29:53 am

Do you get the error if you add no chapters?

I would do a test using shorter sequences. No error would not prove much, but getting an error would.

Seems to me that there was some difference re export vs queue re mercury settings. It should not, of course, create any problem like this.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Phil Lochner
on Jun 6, 2013 at 6:00:18 pm

Still working on this. I did re-render all of the clips last night, and I can report that both the individual Export and the Queued files are the exact same size after being rendered.

I did notice in the Media Encoder preferences all of the XMP data was being created with the clips. I disabled all of that during this Queue render, so yes I did change a variable and I'm curious if that change means the clips will properly Build in Encore. I'll finish the process tonight.

Premiere generates these .xmps clips with every Export. I have noticed that unless I delete these .xmps files before importing the files into Encore, I can't Build properly in Encore. It's become a habit of mine to delete the .xmps files, import the clips, and let Encore think about each clip for a bit (shows up as "media offline" in Encore before it finishes thinking about it). Not sure if this has anything to do with my issue, it could be a totally separate and unrelated problem (which to be honest I think I used Creative Cow's forums to troubleshoot once apon a time, and the suggested solution was to delete the .xmps files).

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Jun 6, 2013 at 7:00:08 pm

A workaround for the "old" pgc error in CS3 was to delete the xmpses etc files. The core of the error appeared to be chapter information. Not all users experienced the problem. (I was one who did.)

The problem, as it occurred then, does not appear in CS5, 5.5, or 6. All the pgc error seen in CS6 appear to be "real" errors.

For the record, confirm you are using CS6, and that it is updated (6.0.2).

Your error has the "look" of the CS3 error, which always reported the location of the pgc error at the end of the timeline.

I can't follow some of your workflow, but it appears you are saying that in the earlier workflow, you were already deleting the xmpses file.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Phil Lochner
on Jun 6, 2013 at 8:22:25 pm

I am using CS6 on a Windows 7 x64 machine with all the latest updates installed for both CS6 and Windows in general.

I have had the described "old" PGC error in CS6, which is why I deleted the xmpses files before importing to Encore.

When I first installed CS6, I was aggravated that my same mpgs weren't importing "like they did with 5.5". That led me to a search where I found that "delete the xmpses files" solution, and I have been using it ever since.

Note that I uninstalled 5.5 after installing CS6, but yes, at one point both were installed on the system as the CS6 installer did not in-place upgrade 5.5.

My workflow is as follows:

. Capture VHS video from a VCR plugged into a mini DV cam, produces 2.5gb files every 12 minutes.
. Import these .avi files into Premiere, arrange in an order, add a title, and make simple cut edits. Usually end up with 60 minutes worth of footage in one sequence.
. Export the sequence as the settings I posted earlier. MPG2-DVD, CBR, De-Interlaced, multiplexed to DVD, etc.
. Go to the sequence's folder, delete the MPG's resulting .xmpses file.
. Load up Encore, create new project, import the mpg, wait for it to (forgot the process, but the clip "shows offline" until it's done, takes about 5 minutes to do each hour long clip)
. Drag clip into a new Timeline, Auto Add Chapters every 5 minutes, set Title Action button (to play this clip) and End Action button (to Stop).
. Build to ISO file, and then I burn this file to a physical DVD with IMGBurn.

It's very basic as you can see. Just adding chapters and burning - this particular home VHS conversion project doesn't require anything more complicated.

I could probably do this DVD authoring just as easily with my old method of creating the MPG in PP and then using the old Ulead Movie DVDFactory to author the DVD and create the ISO. However it's like I paid for Encore and I want to integrate it into my workflow so dammit, I'm going to use it.

Return to posts index

Jeff Pulera
on Jun 6, 2013 at 8:44:38 pm

Hi,

Without reading the entire thread (don't have 10 minutes), I would ask why are you Multiplexing to an .mpeg file? That is not the default setting when you choose any of the "MPEG-2 DVD" presets and does cause issues with audio length and is just not the best workflow for Encore.

Set MultiPlex to NONE (as default). This results in two files, .m2v video and .wav audio. This is what Encore prefers. Encore needs to transcode the audio to Dolby Ac-3 anyway, so you can see that by multiplexing, you are unnecessarily pre-compressing your good audio down to lossy MPEG audio, then Encore needs to pull that out of the video stream and compress again. Just give it what it wants, bet you have no more issues.

PS - you probably do not need "Max Bit Depth" checked unless working with high-bit depth formats, tons of graphics, etc. My rule of thumb is to use the DEFAULTS, as Adobe has them set that way for a reason, and ONLY start checking boxes if I understand why I am checking them (benefits? downsides?). Sorry if I sound a bit jaded, long week, no sleep, and keep seeing the same problems on the forum because checkboxes are checked that probably should not have been checked ;-)

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Return to posts index

Phil Lochner
on Jun 6, 2013 at 9:06:57 pm

The MPG multiplexing was more for convenience and habit. I had problems in older versions of Encore with the separate .m2v and .wav files, problems which once apon a time I solved by just multiplexing to DVD. I used to use Ulead for these "quick and dirty" DVDs, which only liked MPG's anyway, so I kept using MPGs to give me the most flexibility.

I was not aware of the audio compression issues from multiplexing to DVD. Thanks for the info - I may try to add that piece to the puzzle and maybe it'll resolve the issue as well. Fortunately my VHS footage isn't that great audio/video anyway so I'm not missing much for this exact project.

Return to posts index

Phil Lochner
on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:42:52 am

Unfortunately, it doesn't look it's tied into the Media Encoder after all. I have 3 sequences for testing.

Seq1.mpg with xmpses file in the folder won't Build. Audio track is visibly shorter. The ref build error is at 2:35 into the 12 minute clip, and the error ID is "Ref=bpcg"

Seq2.mpg with xmpses file Builds fine. Although, the audio track in Encore is visibly shorter, yet it still builds.

Seq3.mpg with xmpses file errors out as Seq1.mpg did, except the Ref=bpcg is in a different location (3.5 minutes into the 12 minute clip).

All of the above results can be duplicated regardless if the file came from a single Export or a Queue. There isn't anything majorly different between 1, 2, and 3. They're all different files and content, sure, but they're just 12 minute segments of a longer capture.

Anyway, following the above suggestion, I rendered out #1 as a m2v and .wav file. Dropped it into Encore, added the .wav file under the video file, audio lined up properly underneath it, and other than the Audio needing to be Transcoded, the ISO Built fine.

So my take away is that I have no idea why all of my 20+ other MPG files I generated as part of this VHS to DVD project worked fine in Encore, but suddenly stopped working. I can seem to work around it by generating m2v and .wav but I'll need to do further testing.

According to above, Encore "likes" m2v and .wav better than MPGs. Is that generally the case and have I just been insanely lucky never to have a .mpg fail to Build like I've been experiencing?

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Jun 7, 2013 at 2:55:55 am

An mpg (i.e. a muxed mpeg fle) requires Encore to demux into the streams before it can remux them into the vob. I think it is just considered better practice to use demuxed files.

This may have nothing to do with the cause for your errors. When I was testing the pgc errors in CS3, I could narrow the error down to a 10 second section, which did not fail when Jeff Bellune tested it on his system. I was convinced it was a combination of hardware/software that was only a problem for some other set of unknown conditions. Jeff was never convinced (I don't think) that there was really a problem that couldn't ultimately be accounted for. But we never found it.

We don't know that about your error. Unequal lengths of video/audio is not correct. Having the delete xmpses file is a great workaround for getting projects done.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Phil Lochner
on Jun 10, 2013 at 9:32:14 pm

Thanks again for your help. Over the weekend I was able to export 8 hours worth of MPG-2s, all as m2v and wav files, and not one of them gave me any errors when I Built the DVDs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]