FORUMS: list search recent posts

bad audio sink in encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Cunliffe
bad audio sink in encore
on May 2, 2013 at 6:48:14 pm

Let me tell you the entire story, shot in 1080P, edited in 720P so I could do some push work in post, 30 fps....feature documentary with some standard def footage.
well there is no standard setting for blue ray, 720p 30fps, so I tried the 720P 23.96 and then used frame blending, which took forever, but I got a great looking blue ray burn,,,,except!!! the standard footage is jumpy now.The HD footage was jumpy before I used frame blending and that solved that issue. So I have jumpy std footage in my film...RRRGGG!

Well I also had a chapter button show up on the screen at the start of each chapter, because I made each chapter a timeline of its own and connected them in flow chart.....it worked great but i got the play button showing up on the screen when I watched it on my blue ray player.....

So I decided I will bring them in as assets and put them all in one timeline, which works great EXCEPT the audio is now off...and each chapter has video and audio that are off by 1 second....and there appears to be no way to adjust it.

How do I get a smooth burn, without that silly chapter button showing up and are their any suggestion for my jittery std footage?
Oh BTW h.264 is what Im using, on a PC, and when I exported a chapter without frame blending, my std def footage was still jumpy. so I am really lost!

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: bad audio sink in encore
on May 2, 2013 at 7:28:50 pm

Sorry Charles,
your workflow is badly out of BD-ways.

you´ve never thought about BD-specs and the necessary workflow.

here is what BD-spec allows:

1080p23.98, 1080p24, 1080i60, 720p60, 720x480 - NTSC SD

think before you start working!

danny

Return to posts index

Charles Cunliffe
on May 2, 2013 at 7:38:14 pm

not too helpful now that I have 2 1/2 years on the film. I asked a pro to set it up and he did it wrong so now I have to clean up the mess....Any helpful suggestions....?

Please do help me on this one.....
when I author a blue ray in Encore, by importing each chapter as a timeline and then link them all together to play one after the other, I get a small play button showing on the screen as the movie plays.....

If I import them as assets and try and drag them into one timeline to get rid of the silly chapter play button issue, the audio gets off by 1 second.

Im going nuts and running out of time....

Love to chat with you about a mercury playback. open gl issue later.

Return to posts index

Charles Cunliffe
on May 2, 2013 at 7:40:46 pm

BTW the H.264 with frame blending created a pretty good looking blue ray, I just dont know where in the process the std def video went to crap?

Return to posts index

Charles Cunliffe
on May 2, 2013 at 7:51:37 pm

Don't give up on me Daniel , I am really stuck here.....

Also I did not truly understand your first post....BD = Blue Ray?
Does that mean those are the only shooting and editing standards I can use for blue ray burning later?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on May 2, 2013 at 8:00:21 pm

Charles,
it´s called blu-ray! without E

;)

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on May 2, 2013 at 7:58:57 pm

Charles,
again - workflow-issue!

there are plenty of tutorials on youtube how to prepare a DVD/BD within encore.

you don´t need to split your video - you need to have ONE complete timeline/file containing all your video, don´t create single items and put them all in the encore-timeline!

if you´re editing within FCP - you need to create one sequenz with your complete video.

encode it using adobe media encoder or any other encoder prior authoring.

if you edited within 720p30 - the most easy way to go is to upscale your video to 1080 and encode it to 1080i30.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Charles Cunliffe
on May 2, 2013 at 8:11:04 pm

Just so you know, that is what I have always done in the past ( through dynamic link) and the Blu Ray looked bad this time, no diff than Std Def, until I exported each chapter individually as h.264 files with frame blending.....but ill try again....

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on May 2, 2013 at 8:24:11 pm

Charles,
forget about dynamic linking - you need to export your video as selfcontained movie (AVI or MOV) depending if your on mac or pc.

once again my question: what is your sequenz-setting?

you´ve edited your 1080p30 in a 720p30-timeline? or whatever?! frame-blending makes absolutly NO sence.

that pro that adviced you seams to be an idiot - or you might have asked the wrong questions!

my 2ct

danny

Return to posts index

Charles Cunliffe
on May 2, 2013 at 9:42:22 pm

OKay, I always agree that dynamic link is a waste of time, never good results.
I shot interviews 1080P 30 fps on a 7dcannon, all my timelines are 720P 30fps and we have some avi converted 8mm footage in the film, which is working okay and we have some Std Def interlaced 29.97 footage in the film.

To get a good looking blue ray I had tried exporting an h.254 blue ray setting out of media encoder, that was 720p 23.976 frame rate, looked alright but my interviews were occasionally jumpy looking that's when I read that using frame blending might help, so I tried it,,,took all night to export the entire film this way and then I burned that, noticing that the Std Def footage is looking jumpy....

I am thinking I may have to do the following........
tell me if im nuts......
export sd footage, changing it to progressive, 30fps, replace it in the project, then take the whole damn thing into after effects and convert it to 23.976......

otherwise I may replace the sd footage that looks jumpy only and try to burn the whole movie as one export, but I am still inclined then to use frame blending cause it looked SO MUCH Better than anything else I tried.

your patience is appreciated......This is my first feature doc, it's a great little film, winning some nice awards, just want a better burn for theater release on the 18th of May

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on May 3, 2013 at 6:07:14 am

Charles,
if you wont go away from 720p30, you still will have problems.

ok, let me do a short overview - you´ve got 4 different footages:

1. 1080p30
2. 720p30
3. NTSC SD 29.98i
4. 8mm film (which is 23.98 normally - it might have created in another framerate)

so the very first thing you need to do is to bring it into 1 (one) single framerate.

these are editing-basics with mixed footage:

1. create a single 1080i30-sequenz (use XDCAM HD 422-setting for this)
2. copy all your stuff from your older sequenz into the new one

all clips that wont match the sequenz-timebase (which is 29.98) needs to be changed. premiere has nice feature for this - within the contexual menu.

you need to do a right-click on the footage, then modify>interprete footage as. a new window will open - then you can set your framerate to 29,97.

also keep track of your field-order!

your sequenz 1080i30 has upper first whils NTSC SD has lower first, so your SD-NTSC-material needs to have a filter on it to turn arround the field-order, otherwise you´ll get jurky videos.

to do so - select the clip on the timeline>right-klick>field-options>reverse field order

accoding to your 23.98fps-clips: if you are using the interprete-footage-option your clip will get shorter, as you speeding it up, so you need to use the time-tool to bring it back to the original duration. - this is (in deed) the "quick-and-dirty-workflow!!

normally you need to do a real cross-coversion 23.98>29.98 using plugins like twixtor (which could generate new frames) or similar and convert the entire matieral using after effects.

after all that work you need to scale-up all your clips that wont fit the 1920x1080, meaning your 720p and NTSC SD-material.

when all your editing is done - you are exporting your entire video into ONE single file.

this one would be encoded using adobe media encoder (h264-blu-ray-setting 29.98) and then you can start author your blu-ray.

you see - there´s a lot to do and the way you worked shows me, that you are not familiar with basic workflows of editing.

secondly: how could you start doing a project like this with a tight deadline when you couldn´t do the basics!?

good luck

danny

EDIT: be awared that you are using highly compressed footage from the DSLR-cam, which could result in blocking artefacts when re-encoding for blu-ray and/or using heavy color-correction-processes!!

Return to posts index

Charles Cunliffe
on May 3, 2013 at 12:35:44 pm

Thanks for the details, I was surprised that exporting the whole thing as a 1080i film, worked fairly well. I will consider all you have suggested. In answer to your last question, I hired an editor early in the project who helped me set up the work flow, who obviously was not experienced with the problems we were creating, he later had to resign when he got a new job, I have had to work it out for myself and as I said this was my first doc with mixed footage.

Thanks for the help...
I run the nvidia 285gefroce video card, and have never been able to resolve, with either Adobe or Nvidia the recurring open gl driver crashes when editing,or rendering, they are all over the forums and seems to be no solution.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]