FORUMS: list search recent posts

Which File Size to Believe, Media Encoder, Encore or ISO? All 3 different sizes

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Berch
Which File Size to Believe, Media Encoder, Encore or ISO? All 3 different sizes
on May 2, 2013 at 1:11:28 pm

Hi,

I encoded a project from Premiere which is an Hour and 50 Minutes. I exported my timeline into Media Encoder and I got the estimated file size to 19GB. (This is a Blu-Ray Disc).

I encoded it and then I looked at my Hard drive where I saved it to and it said that file size is 16.5 GB, a lot smaller than the estimated 19 GB.

I imported into my Encore CS 5.1 project, where I had menus and music over my menus, as a timeline, and went to the Build Menu in Encore to look at the file size now. It said 20.5 GB.

Lastly, I made as ISO file of the project and that came out to 22.5 GB

Which file size do I believe?

From now on, I think the most I can encode any timeline from premiere into Media Encoder is 20 or 21 GB. Tops. Knowing that it is going to be a liittle larger once I bring it it Encore.

The ISO file always seems to be the biggest and maybe this is the one to trust.

Any thoughts or solutions on this problem?

I know Encore has a file size bug, but how do other people deal with this problem.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Kris Merkel
Re: Which File Size to Believe, Media Encoder, Encore or ISO? All 3 different sizes
on May 3, 2013 at 8:54:46 pm

I would believe all of them as the data size is calculated by the actual size of the file. The est. file size from Media encoder is just that and you will always want to make sure you leave headroom for the authoring process. I cant comment on the actual workflow because I dont do much authoring anymore and hardly ever touch Encore or Blu Ray.

What Codec are you transcoding to for Blu Ray authoring and are you setting your audio to dolby instead of PCM?

"Think of everything in terms of building capacity."

Kris Merkel
twitter: @kris_merkel
Product Manager, Flanders Scientific Inc.
http://www.shopfsi.com
Co-Founder, Atlanta Cutters Post Production User Group
http://www.atlantacutters.com

2.2Ghz MBP core i7
16Gb RAM
CS6/FCP7
AJA T-Tap
AJA IO XT
FSI LM-2461W/CM-170W

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved