FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD DVD Content on to Bluray Master in SD Adobe Encore

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lance Cortez
SD DVD Content on to Bluray Master in SD Adobe Encore
on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:12:20 am

Ok, so I have a bunch of SD DVD content that I want to transfer to Bluray and keep the content in SD. Reason I am doing this is because it's easier to play the content on one bluray disc than to have to swap discs out for my kids and I can just let it play, power off my player and let it pickup where it left off by powering the player back on.

So I have all the content from the DVDs in VOB files (unencrypted) and they total around 22gb. I imported them into Encore fine and they came up as "Don't transcode" in the transcoding settings window which is what I want because I don't want to alter the compression of the original VOB mpeg2 encoded files. From there all I added was a Play All playlist and a landing menu. When I go to the build it says the discs will be 40gb for some reason. I looked at all the VOB files and again they only add up to around 22gb of data so i am a bit confused why it's showing up as double. This is only 2 and a half discs worth of Dual Layer content I am messing with. I have tried changing the project settings to DVD and Bluray but haven't figured out how to get these to fit. Any tips? I am trying to make an SD only 25gb bluray disc.

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
Re: SD DVD Content on to Bluray Master in SD Adobe Encore
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:42:05 am

While you can drag a vob into Encore, it is not a supported filetype. And in a quick test, I got odd results.

I really don't know, but I don't think Encore will put the vob onto the disk without processing; the build process involves it muxing, so it needs to transcode to have demuxed assets.

You can put SD onto BD, but it is usually done using regular assets (m2v/wav or ac3).

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Lance Cortez
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:02:07 pm

Hmmm. Have any recommended programs I should try to get the files in native format off the DVD. What I currently did was use DVDFab to rip the discs using DVD copy mode to my hard drive. I then took the VOB files it created from there. So you suggest to bring the files in as m2v? Will have to check DVD Fab when I get home to see if it is capable of doing this.

Return to posts index

Stan Jones
on Apr 24, 2013 at 2:30:03 pm

I have not played with this much. I want lossless (as you do) in this scenario. You can now bring VOBs into Premiere, but I don't think it is doing smart rendering yet.

I suspect there is a demuxer out there somewhere.

You can try renaming to mpg.

Stan Jones

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Apr 25, 2013 at 6:52:20 pm

Lance,

The VOBs already exist on the your original DVD. You need to combine the VOBs together, since the multiplexed program has been cut into VOBs of approximately 1Gb in size. There are free/shareware PC utilities which combine VOBs together. Then you take the combined VOB and rip that back to the original .m2v and .ac3 encodes, which can be re-used in an authoring application.

I'm not sure whether Encore will accept standard-def media in a Blu-ray project or you need to do that in a spec-level authoring app.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]