FORUMS: list search recent posts

using an .mlp audio file for blu-ray disc

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Franciosa
using an .mlp audio file for blu-ray disc
on Mar 25, 2013 at 6:58:14 pm

I was delivered a .mlp audio file to use for audio on a blu-ray disc. i have no idea what to do with this file. i cannot convert it and I cannot add it as. tried vlc and that doesnt seem to work. The file is 798 mb and comes from a reputable source so Im sure its fine.

does anyone undertand a workflow for use with this file?

Return to posts index

Stephen Franciosa
Re: using an .mlp audio file for blu-ray disc
on Mar 25, 2013 at 10:30:18 pm

ok so a .mlp is a Dolby digital file which Encore is claiming "the correct software to decode the media does not exist." Im hearing a company called Surcode has the correct drivers for this?

The Dolby file is 5.1 that was created out of Protools.

Anyone know a workflow for this?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 25, 2013 at 11:10:32 pm

Encore does not work with the advanced Dobly formats permitted in the Blu-ray spec, only the same .ac3 files as for DVD. However, DTS-HD audio is supported in Encore CS-6.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 26, 2013 at 12:59:45 am

Actually, .mlp is meridian losless packing -- a lossless compression format. I am unsure whether Encore will recognize this format even if the codec is installed on your system. You may need to ask the audio person for a PCM or AIFF audio file.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Stephen Franciosa
on Mar 26, 2013 at 5:03:31 pm

thanks. i have a ac3 from my sound guy which i was going to use in place. (correct me if im wrong but ac3 is better than pcm). they are concerned about getting the highest possible quality.

wouldn't a AIFF need to be transcoded to either a ac3 or pcm?

what would be your recommendation for the best audio?

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 27, 2013 at 12:03:58 am

Stephen,

If the audio person gave you a 5.1 Dolby .ac3 mix, why not use that audio file?

If your audio is 5.1 surround, then you cannot use any uncompressed audio formats. You must transcode to a 5.1 surround Dolby .ac3 file. Normally this is done using an encoder that supports transcoding from six mono audio stems. Apple Compressor will make a 5.1 surround .ac3 in this way.

The DVD Spec allows the use of PCM stereo directly on a DVD. Previous versions of Encore forced everything to transcode to .ac3 audio. I have not tried to build a DVD with PCM stereo in Encore CS-6, so I don't know whether the "Do Not Transcode" setting works for audio.

If you do use PCM audio in your DVD, you may need to lower the bitrate of your video encodes, due to the much higher bitrate of PCM stereo.

FYI, PCM is the PC flavor and AIFF is the Mac flavor of uncompressed audio. Both will be higher quality than a Dolby .ac3 audio, which is a lossy compression format.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]