FORUMS: list search recent posts

subtitles preferred format for encore (and premiere)

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ginger Gentile
subtitles preferred format for encore (and premiere)
on Mar 13, 2013 at 9:47:39 pm

I just finished a 65 minute film and have contracted a subtitling company to do the subtitles in English and Spanish. They have offered to deliver the subtitles in various formats:
STL, RTF, SUB, PAC, etc..
Which should I ask for encore?
Also, I will need to burn the subtitles in premiere pro (some festivals ask for the subtitles to be burned onto a digital master).
Any recomendations?
Any things I should watch out for or be aware of?
I have always done subtitling myself for short films, so first time at this.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: subtitles preferred format for encore (and premiere)
on Mar 14, 2013 at 6:26:52 am

MAC od PC?

Return to posts index

Ginger Gentile
on Mar 14, 2013 at 1:33:50 pm

I work on PC, some of the other people working on this work on MAC--if there is a format that works on both, the best.
The idea is that I will get the subtitles in a format that will then be places in the sequence and automatically go to where they need to go--this exists?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 14, 2013 at 8:39:47 pm

Ginger,
there are subtitle-tools for MAC and PC, some are free, some not.

for example PC-software: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Other-VIDEO-Tools/Subtitle-Wo...

for mac you can use annotation edit from zeitanker: http://www.zeitanker.com

premiere itself could not import/export any subtitle-format because of its title-tool-implementation. you can´t even import FCP-XML and work on the text, simply not possible. annotation edit can generate subtitles that will work within encore.

zeitanker is also selling the annotation trascriber app, this is for transcription - very easy, 29€ cheap and very good for quick spotting.

afterwards the project-file could be exported using anntation edit to go to encore - very easy - one klick.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Ginger Gentile
on Mar 15, 2013 at 2:37:07 pm

Hi Danny,
I myself will not be doing the subtitles--I will receive them from the subtitling company, "ready to put in the movie" with the timecodes. They asked me what format I want them, as they can do them in any format--what format should I ask them in?

Thanks for letting me know that I won´t be able to do subtitles in Premiere, I guess I will need to put them in manually from a text file if I need to burn them into the movie, correct?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 16, 2013 at 5:11:49 pm

the most easy way is to create a STL-file. but you might be awared that the need to give you the ISO-coding (UTF-8, UTF-16), otherwise it could be possible that special character will not be correct with other languages.

most subtitle-applications could convert STL to any other format that you need, like the encore-format.

for example STL looks like this:

// Format for Spruce Maestro/DVD Studio Pro
//-----------------------------------------

// Title: Track - English Copy
// Author: No Author
// Language: English
// Date: 03/16/13
// Offset: 00:00:00:00
// Format: 24p - 24

$TapeOffset = False
$FontName = Helvetica
$FontSize = 23
$Bold = False
$Italic = False
$ColorIndex1 = 7
$ColorIndex2 = 1
$ColorIndex3 = 1
$ColorIndex4 = 0
$TextContrast = 15
$Outline1Contrast = 12
$Outline2Contrast = 6
$HorzAlign = Center
$XOffset = 0
$VertAlign = Bottom
$YOffset = 0
$FadeIn = 0
$FadeOut = 0
$BackgroundContrast = 0

$Italic = True
00:01:10:13,00:01:16:00, You get 50 points for the next question| about Burkina Faso.
00:01:18:17,00:01:20:05, Ready?| -Yes.
00:01:21:10,00:01:28:08, What do the farmers in this| village eat for lunch?
00:01:29:12,00:01:32:03, 1. Nutritious dirt.
00:01:34:17,00:01:36:08, 2. Beetles.
00:01:38:08,00:01:40:03, 3. Spaghetti.
00:01:47:17,00:01:50:00, Number 3, spaghetti.

while encore-text looks like this, it´s a so called FAB-text:

1 00:01:10:12 00:01:15:22 You get 50 points for the next question
about Burkina Faso.
2 00:01:18:15 00:01:20:04 Ready? -Yes.
3 00:01:21:08 00:01:28:06 What do the farmers in this village eat for lunch?
4 00:01:29:09 00:01:32:00 1. Nutritious dirt.
5 00:01:34:15 00:01:36:05 2. Beetles.
6 00:01:38:06 00:01:40:01 3. Spaghetti.
7 00:01:47:14 00:01:49:21 Number 3, spaghetti.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Matt Stoddart
on Mar 19, 2013 at 12:54:50 pm

Echoing what Daniel said about asking for an SRT file.
If you are PC then a great little (free) Subtitling tool, Subtitle Edit3.3.2 ( http://www.nikse.dk/ ) which has the text preset for Encore and loads of other functions.
You can also ask the company to supply you with a Premiere edl with the corresponding bitmaps which you can import into Premiere if required.

Thanks
Matt Stoddart

Return to posts index

Ginger Gentile
on Mar 19, 2013 at 3:36:14 pm

Great, I will ask for an SRT file and then I can use it for encore and premier, as long as I change it for each program (as I understand, encore needs a heading with information as showed above, while premier doesn´t, it also doenst need line breaks, correct?)

The only languages I will subtitle for are Spanish and English, so I don´t think I need to worry about asian characters for now.

Return to posts index

Matt Stoddart
on Mar 19, 2013 at 4:43:13 pm

What you should get from the subtitlers are two lots of files;
1) SRT - which you can convert into the text file needed for ENCORE.
2) A Premiere edl file with the accompanying tifs of the subtitles

If you tell the subtitler you are editing in Adobe Premiere and tell them what frame size and aspect ratio you are working in they will supply the rest.
The tiff are normally supplied as 4 colour tiffs
E2 [Outer Edge].......Color 1
E1 [Inner Edge].......Color 2
PA [Face] ............Color 3
BG [Background].......Color 4

The EDL should link up with all the tifs files , once they are on the timeline just drop the appropriate key effect on the subtitles.

You can create a Premiere EDL and tifs from a SRT file, but this is normally a function of the more expensive subtitling programmes, Lemony is one of them.

Do you need the subtitles on the Premiere time line for cutting purposes or just as a reference?

Return to posts index

Ginger Gentile
on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:15:19 pm

Hi Matt,
This is my first time finishing up a film--I will burn a dvd where the subtitles are optional in Encore but some festivals ask that the subtitles be burned into the actual film (especially because the spoken language is Spanish) and then presented on DVD, or more likely, digi beta, HD or other support, including a hard drive. So I will be rendering the film on Premier to send then to make the digibeta, HD tapes, etc
In the past I have only made digibeta tapes of my shorts, and the formats are changing all the time. I know that for cinema releases in Argentina (where the film was made)it has to be presented in 2K.

Return to posts index

Matt Stoddart
on Mar 19, 2013 at 5:43:49 pm

Ah, I see.. you do need both.

Thanks
Matt

Return to posts index

Ginger Gentile
on May 2, 2013 at 9:45:07 pm

After a lot of internet seraching, I found a way to embed subtitles on in premiere pro using a .txt document that creates subtitles in encore. (Why adobe doesn´t include this, I don´t know)
http://aescripts.com/pt_importsubtitles/#
download the script. It costs about $25, but it is worth saving the time to redo the subs manually if you have a long movie.
Basically, this is an After Effects script. It allows you to import a .txt subtitle list with timecodes into AE and it generates automatically (in about 20 seconds) one long video in alpha with your subs, where they should be. you can use key frames to make changes in AE(a bit time consuming) or you can export with alpha channel into premiere OR use dynamic link. If you don´t need to make any sincro changes you can also import a video and export from AE.
If anyone from Adobe reads this, please include this script in future updates. It is not a crazy idea to want to burn subtitles into a movie: many festivals want to receive movies this way.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]