FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore Cs4 / playlist of clips / cant skip backwards through playlist?

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Rivas
Encore Cs4 / playlist of clips / cant skip backwards through playlist?
on Feb 25, 2013 at 11:46:33 am

Hello Everyone ,
I have a project ready to send out, it includes a playlist (not a chapter playlist) that i have linked to a PLAY ALL button on MENU1 ..

Why is it that as a END USER watching the " play all" playlist.. i can skip forward to the next clip in the playlist,

BUT UNABLE to skip -BACK- through the clips ???

ALSO i see they all say "chapter 1" is there a way to rename them ?

im dealing with 16 individual clips/timelines total..

thanks!! love this site btw

newbie trying to learn as much as i can.... very overwhelmed to say the least!! haha

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
Re: Encore Cs4 / playlist of clips / cant skip backwards through playlist?
on Mar 2, 2013 at 1:52:58 pm

David,
are you authoring DVD or BD? this has something to do with the dedicated spec and how encore creates its disc and the underlying abstraction-layer-code, which will be generated when you creates all you linkings and button-connections.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

David Rivas
on Mar 2, 2013 at 7:21:24 pm

its DVD..

i've been reading a lot on the issue and couldnt find a straight answer..

its just the SKIP BACK function is not existent when watching my "PLAY ALL " playlist .. (not chapter playlist)

When i hit "skip back" on the remote.. it just restarts the current chapter playing.. cant go back to the previously played chapters..

its the only thing WRONG with my project

THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY!! hope to hear from you..

newbie trying to learn as much as i can.... very overwhelmed to say the least!! haha

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 3, 2013 at 8:36:59 pm

David,
every timeline will be multiplexed into a seperate VTS (video title set) which is a vob-file within your VIDEO_TS-folder.

they are present as:

VTS_01_X.VOB
VTS_02_X.VOB
VTS_XX_X.VOB

by dvd-spec it´s not allowed to jump from one timeline (at/over the end/beginning) to the next timeline (even some players can do this) with the skip-buttons.

when encore is creating a playlist, that plays all theses titles - it navigates through the VMG, and plays each item after the other.

what you would like to do - wouldn´t work anyway.

Return to posts index

David Rivas
on Mar 3, 2013 at 9:15:50 pm

so what would u recommend doing if i wanted to achieve a
"play all" function to play all these separate timelines?

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 5, 2013 at 5:36:20 am

David,
this is very simple to say: it´s not possible at all - as DVD-specs denies this.

the only way to change ths is to go back 20-30 years and change the dvd-specs :D

to work out a "play all"-feature, you need to think the other way round with DVD.

you should have one timeline with all content. for all single play-options you need to create a playlist which contains the necessary parts (chapters) of it.

NOTE: don´t put all your allready encoded elements/assets in one timeline, this could cause a muxer-problem, you should encode the entire film as one MPEG2+audio using adobe media encoder and set chaptermarker for the single parts of it.

and of course - you need to re-programm your DVD nearly from scratch!

danny

Return to posts index

David Rivas
on Mar 5, 2013 at 6:34:50 am

i see.. i wish i would have known that from the start.. i can only hope that is the only flaw the end user will experience.. i sent my project in for replication .. only 100 being made..

these were small clips i edited through out 2012 , so THATs the main reason why its not 1 solid timeline..

theres always next year!! thanks for helping me understand why things worked out this way..

here is a quick promo for my lil project...

FCP , Encore ,and after effects student of the internet..

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Mar 5, 2013 at 7:10:55 am

David,
you might have asked these question before you start your dvd-project.

there are several issues you could get in touch with, especially if your disc will go to replication.

if its just a 100-charge that will duplicated with a DVD-robot, I guess that should work ok while playback, but no one could skip through the "play-all"-clips, as it´s not possible.

it´s not a big deal to create one single film from several ones using FCP or premiere.

be awared to have a small timeline (3-5sec. black or disclaimer) at the start of disc prior your first menu. disable all UOPs on this track, it´s to keep the DVD-players resume-buffer happy :)

good luck

danny

Return to posts index

David Rivas
on Mar 5, 2013 at 7:17:45 am

.. so ur saying that my project wont work as i sent in after i get it back ??!!!!

say it aint so!!!

i was able to at least skip forwards on every player i tested on at home ...

and i DIDNT put a blank first play ... how much of a disaster is this about to be!!!??

Return to posts index

David Rivas
on Mar 13, 2013 at 8:39:49 am

ok everyone, so i got the batch of 100 in.. and all is well..

everything functions as the master i turned in ,i've directly sold 40 of the 100 and have broke even on my investment as far as duplication cost.

I might need to make another batch soon i hope, and if i do i intend on redoing the encore portion of my project. It made me want to write down all i've learned along the way, and also ask YOU ...

What are the standards for a DVD (not blu ray) project in encore in your opinion?

i remember Bit rate was important ,and having to set it at 7 mbs.. (?)

and you mentioned making the first play a blank .mov before the first menu..

i've learned NOT to use media files with long file names with spaces and punctuation as this causes encore to crash at transcoding.

Also to make an iso image and then burn that image to disc at a slower (but not SLOWEST speed ) on ONLY Verbatim -r dvd Rs...

what else that i might not know of or understand yet???

thank you so much .. a really love learning from everyones input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]