FORUMS: list search recent posts

Encore CS6 and multiple AC3 tracks

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jef Huey
Encore CS6 and multiple AC3 tracks
on Jan 10, 2013 at 9:45:09 pm

I am trying to author a Blu ray with two AC3 tracks - a 5.1 and a stereo.

The result is 2 stereo tracks. Googling this seems to confirm that this is a common problem. One solution is to make sure that the AC3 assets are tagged as "Do Not Transcode". I can not find a way to do this in Encore CS6. While that did seem to be an option for DVD, it does not for Blu ray.

Can any one point out anything I am doing incorrect? Are there any workarounds?

Thanks,
Jef

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
Re: Encore CS6 and multiple AC3 tracks
on Jan 11, 2013 at 1:35:47 am

Jef,

Are you running Encore on PC or Mac? I ran into the same issue and found that Encore CS-5 and CS-6 on Mac has the option for "Do Not Transcode" in the drop-down next to the media, while Encore CS-5 on PC does not. I have not used Encore CS-6 on PC. All my 5.1 .ac3 files are DVD & Blu-ray spec-compliant.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 11, 2013 at 2:46:05 am

I am on mac - OS10.6.8. I saw those selections in the DVD columns but not in the blu ray column.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Jef

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 11, 2013 at 4:14:24 pm

Jeff,
you need to look at your project-preferences. if your project was created using "PCM-Audio"-preset, then all your audio will be trascoded to PCM, as it was selected project-wide.

you can´t change that afterwards - or in other words, you need to create your project from scratch.

encore only allow PCM or dolby digital audio

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 11, 2013 at 5:35:40 pm

Thanks for the info. I had set the project up with Dolby Digital as I knew that the files were being created as AC-3.

These AC3 files were created with Compressor. They work just fine in a SD DVD project created in DVD Studio Pro with the same basic structure. So I have a fairly high confidence level that they are correct.

Any more ideas?

Jef

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 11, 2013 at 10:03:21 pm

oh - my good,
jef - I remember some other guys mentioned the same problem, that 5.1 within encore will result into stereo-sound - seem to be a (one more) bug within encore.

please let me do some more investigations on that. I could have a deeper look into the projects and the resulting BDMV.

normally I create BDs using the pro-tools (scenarist, DoStudio or others).

keep you posted....

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 14, 2013 at 5:33:40 pm

short update:
I created a short test-project with encore with 2 audio-trackt:

1. dolby digital 192khz 2.0 stereo
2. dolby digital 256khz 5.1 surround

afterwards I took the multiplexed BDMV-folder and demuxed it using EasyBD, which also created a project-file straight away. within this EasyBD-project I could see, that both streams will be shown correct.

1. DD2.0
2. DD5.1

also tested with a software-player - which showed DD2.0 and 5.1 within the on-screen-info.

as I haven´t got a 5.1-surround-sound-playback at the moment - I could only analyse what I could see so far - this is looking OK.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 14, 2013 at 5:44:35 pm

Thank you for testing.

Could you possibly make a screen grab of your asset page for me?

I am trying to compare how assets are brought into Encore as I feel this may be a part of the issue.

Cheers,
Jef

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 14, 2013 at 9:12:53 pm

Hey Jef,
here you´ll see the screen-grab:

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 14, 2013 at 10:33:15 pm

Great info. Thanks so much.

Here is my problem. I can NOT get my AC3 files to be "Don't Transcode" and your screen shot clearly shows that you have been able to do this.

So --- How did you do that!!! ;)

Jef

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 15, 2013 at 5:59:38 pm

Jeff,
if you created your AC-3-files using compressor they should be valid for BD as well, or your global project-transcoding-setting is set to PCM audio.

could you please upload a small sample of your AC-3-files (2.0 + 5.1) so we could have a look at it.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 15, 2013 at 7:14:49 pm

Here is a screen shot of my project.

When I try to change the transcode option for the audio, I do not get "Don't Transcode" as an option. I get a whole list of video formats.

Now when I selected the .h264 asset and went to transcode options it DID have "Don't Transcode" as an option. Which I chose and seems to be working correctly.

I can not post any of the audio files as they are client property and the project is in progress.

Does this give you ANY clues?

Thanks,
Jef

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:12:27 pm

Jef,
could you please tell me which compressor-encoding-setting do you use? have you choose one of the presets or have you create your own?

could you please export the settings (drag-drop) it out of compressor and sent it over (zipped) to my email, so I could have a look at your compressor-ac3-setting?

here´s my email-address: info (ät) moviedesign.de

there must be something strange within your ac-settings.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:32:22 pm

Will do later today. Not at that machine.

I wonder if it might be the data rate for the 5.1 AC3 track. Will have to check.

Thanks,
Jef

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 15, 2013 at 9:43:00 pm

Jef,
it´s not a matter of the bitrate, encore could import AC-files with the max. bitrate for AC3 which is 640kbit/s. there must be any other kind of problem with your bitstream.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 16, 2013 at 4:06:00 pm

Ok, here is an interesting update. I misspoke when I said that the two AC3 tracks were created in Compressor. They were actually created with a Dolby product (not sure which one) by the DVD authoring department here. So I am pretty confident that these are totally compliant files.

Also, I tested these files on a PC system running the same version Encore and both of them seem to import properly!!

So either there is a bug on Mac Encore or I have a corrupt project (which would be the second time for this project).

More testing and research to do.

Jef

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 17, 2013 at 5:53:05 pm

Just an update.

I started a new project on my mac system. I imported the audio tracks first and they came up as I would want - with "Don't Transcode" in both Bluray columns.

In my initial project, I brought the video asset in first. Don't know if that had anything to do with it. But it seems as if that project became corrupted somehow, because no matter what I did, I could not get the 5.1 audio file to show "Don't Transcode".

Currently waiting on the .iso to burn to a BD-RE so I can start a QC.

We will see.

Jef

Return to posts index

Jef Huey
on Jan 20, 2013 at 4:14:20 pm

Ok - final wrap up.

For what ever reason, starting a new project and bringing AC3 files in prior to video assets solved my problem and I seem to have a Bluray disc that is what I need.

I am sure that operator error played some part, but I had a total of 4 corrupt projects where I had to start over from scratch to get a viable result. By corrupt I mean things like assets once imported could not be changed. Even deleting and reimporting would not allow changes. I also had one project where the menus became corrupt and I had to start them all over again.

Encore just seems incredibly "fragile" to me. But it also seems as if there are not a lot of options in the low price range when you need a slightly more than basic Bluray output. And that statement ignores the whole issue of going to replication. I am just looking at simple presentation discs for clients.

Thanks for the help all.

Jef

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]