FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tearing of button overlays

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Stone
Tearing of button overlays
on Jan 7, 2013 at 9:50:21 am

Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to finish off a DVD menu, and running in to all sorts of problems. I've created my menu in Photoshop and created the button highlights too, but when previewed (and built) I'm finding some weird visual tearing of the highlight (picture attached) The highlight is just the layer beneath it but coloured white, so it should match the shape exactly.

If anyone has any ideas that would be great,

Ryan

Ryan Stone | Creative Director

Lambda Films Ltd.
Video Production & Marketing Company

Retina Burn Blog
Online Video, Film & TV Blog

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
Re: Tearing of button overlays
on Jan 7, 2013 at 10:56:02 pm

Button Highlights are 2-bit, which means they are on or off (no gradients or anti-aliasing). If you have semi-transparent pixels for the highlight, you are going to have issues. In Encore, you can make the entire highlight different transparencies, but that is after it has been defined in Photoshop. In Photoshop, make sure all pixels of the highlight are 100% opaque.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Stone
on Jan 8, 2013 at 10:39:38 am

Hi Jon,

Many thanks for your suggestion. I made the highlights all opaque, but for some reason the tearing is even worse and Encore has retained some opacity in the preview despite the Photoshop file being fully opaque. Picture attached.

Lambda Films Ltd.

Retina Burn Blog

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 8, 2013 at 11:04:49 am

Ryan,
it might be a good idea to post bigger pictures and not only a very small segment of your screen, so we could better see what´s happening on your screen.

by the way - Jon told you the disadvantages of the DVD-button-technique that is a part of the DVD-spec, which is very old now!

just keep in mind: typo-highlights are a NO GO, because of the aliasing.

if you would like to have nice buttons with transparencies and/or highlighted typo - you should look for blu-ray.

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

Ryan Stone
on Jan 8, 2013 at 12:10:29 pm

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately it's not my choice to create a DVD. The footage is in HD, I have access to a 1920 x 1080 menu, but the client needs a highly compatible format. I assume I can't choose the Blu-Ray setting for the HD assets but burn a DVD?

Ry

Lambda Films Ltd.

Retina Burn Blog

Return to posts index

Jon Geddes
on Jan 8, 2013 at 7:02:48 pm

That is correct. You cannot put HD assets on a standard DVD for playback on a DVD player. If you want to send me your menu PSD file, I would be happy to tell you exactly what is wrong with it. You can contact me through my company website in my signature.

Jon Geddes
http://www.precomposed.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]