FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blu-Ray action during pause

COW Forums : Adobe Encore DVD

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hagop Goudsouzian
Blu-Ray action during pause
on Dec 29, 2012 at 4:07:16 pm

Hi, I have two issues I cannot figure out for Blu-ray authoring with encore CS6 on a Mac. For example, when I play the movie Avatar on a PS3 and press pause I see displayed on the screen a thumbnail for where I paused and a timeline with the chapters displayed with dots allowing you to move as the thumbnails change, I would like to the same.

As well, on the Avatar Blu-ray disc there are three full versions, when playing each one is displayed as Title 1 and Chapter numbers. I have three docs on my Blu-ray, the title number varies with each doc. I would like to assign each doc to display Title 1 with its different numbers. And, is it possible to display something other than Title, for example Chapter name?

Suggestions would be appreciated, Thank you.

Hagop
http://www.Hagop Goudsouzian.com

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
Re: Blu-Ray action during pause
on Dec 29, 2012 at 6:42:42 pm

Unfortunately no.... Studio titles like Avatar were authored on specialized software and is hand written in Java ( or customized templates in the case these days). Encore is a consumer tool with limited capabilities.

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Dec 29, 2012 at 8:34:31 pm

Thank you, very sad news! I am trying to give the viewer the best possible experience. I guess the way technology has moved, if the end user after playing Hollywood movies inserts my Blu-ray, the experience might be dissappointing, unless they are an avid fan of the doc's content. I wonder if these java scripts can be purchased...

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Dec 29, 2012 at 9:44:24 pm

Not really.....Encore doesn't support them anyway. The Blu Rays you buy are produced by highly trained authors and programmers, taking days per title.

Encore is just for very basic titles

I doubt people care anyway....if your production is good, it's good :)

Return to posts index

Jim Arco
on Jan 1, 2013 at 2:33:44 pm

If you are authoring BD for a market that requires all the unique effects, you'll need to look into a higher-end authoring system like Scenarist.

Be prepared, high-end authoring done with high-level tools comes with corresponding price tags and learning curves. It may be more cost-effective to hire that sort of work on an as-needed basis.

Jim
Colorburst Video

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Jan 2, 2013 at 2:38:03 am

True, but that will not be a cost effective solution for me. I am trying to offer the best possible with my limited ressources. I do not know how far I can push Encore and my authoring. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 2, 2013 at 6:07:26 pm

If Encore it TOO limited for you (and it is indeed), you might have a look at EasyBD or BDAuthor from DVD Logic:

http://www.dvd-logic.com/

this software has the best price/value-ratio that I could see... learning-curve as well, but much more simple than scenarist and blu-print.

and: yes - it´s correct, there´s a bunch of BD-Java on AVATAR. I´ve got both versions over here (2d and 3d)....

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 2, 2013 at 7:54:19 pm

Yeah....those are good tools but the functionality the OP is looking for us way beyond what the avg producer can accomplish.

Jobs like this are for professional Blu Ray facities and programmers

Even if he did get the DVD logic bundle, it's still beyond site.....unless you want to put the hundreds of hours in learning the specification

Does DVD logic allow you to import JAR Files? Just curious?

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Jan 2, 2013 at 8:27:33 pm

These posts are really appreciated, and gave me a better understanding of what is really going on! Thank you.

I did notice the Java folder in Avatar yet did not realize what it meant nor did I expect these answers.

I did look at the Logic products while I do not mind, it is on a PC. I have Bootcamp. But will I make a leap in my authoring and would I be able to import an encore project and improve without spending another few weeks? The project is virtually complete. (not expecting an answer.)

So as Eric puts it:
"I doubt people care anyway....if your production is good, it's good :)"

I am going to take that approach.I hope I am giving enough not to dissapoint too much. Now just checking buttons and stuff. I guess the last thing I have left to figure out is the playlist which Encore is not very good at too... but I'll see.

In any case, from what I read I might have the opportunity to do one or two more blu-rays and then the whole business will be almost dead. DVD sales are dropping BD sales are up but only temporarily.

Thank you, Hagop

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 2, 2013 at 8:42:55 pm

Hey Hag,
yes, there is a possibility to import previously created projects into BDAuthor or EasyBD - please check out the bundle-list...

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 2, 2013 at 9:20:46 pm

But why? He's not going to be able to duplicate the functionality with HDMV and Logic anyway. Keep your Encore project as is. If you want studio Level results, then pay to have that done. There are too many pitfalls and can't be done in the amount if time you'd like

I'm just being realistic

Return to posts index

Daniel Ludwig
on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:22:05 pm

well eric,
seriously that´s true - there´s a lot work to do if you would like to do discs like that.

but in fact it´s all possible to do with DVD-Logic-products - BD-J could be implemented using BD-Author.

I just wanted to show it´s also possible with other tools than the "usual suspects".

cheers

danny

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 2, 2013 at 10:38:47 pm

Yes....possible. Realistic? No

Just don't want to give the OP any false hopes or time wasting goose chases

I think the OP is about to lay down some cash without knowing what he's getting into is all :)

Return to posts index

Hagop Goudsouzian
on Jan 2, 2013 at 11:09:43 pm

So right now, this is what my Blu-ray looks like: first play copyright warning (no remote function permitted), end jumps to a menu with three buttons, 3 different docs Part 1, P2 and P3 each button links to a docs menu. Each doc has a main menu, on this menu 3 buttons, Play, Scenes, Back. The Scenes button links to Chapter Page 1 with 3 chapter buttons plus three buttons back, play all, next, same with Chapter Page 2. The structure is the same for the three docs. I also have a pop-up menu. On the DVD version (3 DVDs one for each doc) I had extras but I decided to eliminate them to give more room for doc compression. As per instructions on another thread here, I also have a disc logo, the bdmt_eng.xml, so on a PS3 my Logo comes up with title, I burn to a folder with encore add bdmt_eng.xml then create an ISO UDF 2.5 and ready to burn a test.

I have one blu-ray disc as a model which is Avatar. Of course Avatar is much much better presented, the two items it has which I do not are the Pause function and Chapter Titles with names as you scroll, (mine is Title 1, 2, etc non sequential.) all of this I understand is Java based which is out of the question for me.

Realistically, at this point I do not know what additional functionality I can add that would render my Blu-ray more conventional or something one would expect after watching a regular Hollywood feature. It seems to me I have covered the basics of the remote. But then again I do not know enough.

But if there is an article I can read that will help me understand what I am missing (menu functions or whatever) which in turn will help me decide if I should embark on learning a new authoring software, I am ready, (sort of.)

Thanks,

Hagop

Return to posts index

eric pautsch
on Jan 3, 2013 at 3:08:38 am

Actually you can read one I wrote....but its a little outdated....a little :)

http://magazine.creativecow.net/article/bluray-today-and-beyond

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]